Buzzing strings

byjimini

Reaction score
Ok, this is starting to get on my wick now... i've got 3 ukes each with Worth Clears, each ukes has one or two strings that are buzzing.

Now my Sceptre, with the same strings, has all 4 buzzing. I've had a look at the nut and there's nothing sharp to irritate the strings, and the frets are clean too.

Any ideas? I'm thinking they maybe not wound tight enough, but if that was the case then they'd go out of tune, right?

The strings aren't new but then they're not exactly well-played either.

I'm at a bit of a loss.

Strings buzzing on a Sceptre? :boggle: KoAloha quality is impeccable and they tend to ship with rather tall bridges, I can't imagine one buzzing...

Are you maybe tuning all of your ukes an octave low? It has happened before. The strings will be loose enough to buzz quite easily when that is the case... When tuned to the correct octave the strings should feel pretty firm - not wire-tight like they were about to break, but definitely firm.

John

Worth Clears are very thin-gauge strings. They sit low in the nut and are quick to buzz. Try Koolau strings (any of the three varieties), they are much thicker gauge.

Another thing you could try is to slip a shim in the nut slot under the strings that buzz. I did this with an Applause soproano, my Worth Clears buzzed on the C string. I made the shim out of a bit of thick plastic from the string package, folded over once. It worked just fine. I trimmed it small and it was barely noticeable. BTW, now I'm using Aquila strings on that uke and they don't need the shim.

Last edited:
Olde and Mill have good ideas. I shimmed nut slots once with toothpick pieces. I like the string package idea.

Could be many things. Are they buzzing when played open or fretted? Sometimes the frets need to be leveled/dressed. If one is higher than the rest it will cause buzzing. The nut slots could be filed too wide for the Worths. The nut slots need to be angled downward towards the headstock so the strings contact the nut on the fretboard side of the nut rather than the headstock side. Is the action too low at the nut? I know that you said that the strinbgs are not particularly old, but maybe they need to be replaced? Have you always had a buzzing issue with the sceptre? if not, then maybe it is time to replace the strings.

Did you recently change to Worths and now they buzz...
....or where the ukes once ok, and they started buzzing?

Could be the nut, shim it and you will know for sure....as stated above worth is thinner guage strings...I say this because you noticed this after a string change....
if it is the nut, you could just keep the shim there, or tape both sides of the nut and refill with super glue... in minuetes it will harden...and re file slot...you must have nut
files for this proceedure....though.. good luck..

Top Bottom