Amplification for my LoP ?

Gforeman

Reaction score
The LoP didn't come with a pickup. I know LoP sells a passive pickup but I do not want to drill it for the Jack. Does anyone make something that clips in the sound hole that gives a standard 1/4" jack so I can amp it? Really want to input it into my JAM and iPad. I'm Geeky that way :rolleyes:

There are mic style soundhole pickups available - I've used them on guitar and was less than happy. The sound around the soundhole tends to be very boomy on an acoustic instrument. (When studio techs mic an acoustic guitar, they usually point the close mic near the lower bout just below and ahead of the bridge - same spot works well on acoustic ukes.)

You could go with a stick on soundboard pickup but the results vary, even from the reasonably good ones. They sound pretty decent (more natural than an undersaddle transducer, IMHO) but are very prone to noise and they are easily knocked loose. I ended up using on-camera audio for one of my vids after I got a perfect take only to discover that while strumming I'd bumped the stick on pickup so it pulled up from the top just enough that the output dropped to nearly nothing.

Honestly, if you're going to use the pickup a lot, it's worth doing it right even if that means having a pro install the pickup.

John

Last edited:
Why not mic it? Can get a decent mic and stand for price a decent pickup, especially if you have to have someone else install it. LoP's I've heard mic'd sounded awesome.

Good points. I don't want to take a chance on marking up this beautiful thing either. I will look for a Mic. I sold a real nice Mic last year I purchased just to record my son's piano auditions years ago, should have held on to it :)

Any suggestions on a good mic? Maybe one with phantom power?

Good points. I don't want to take a chance on marking up this beautiful thing either. I will look for a Mic. I sold a real nice Mic last year I purchased just to record my son's piano auditions years ago, should have held on to it :)

Any suggestions on a good mic? Maybe one with phantom power?

Depends on what you're looking for. The R0de M3 has a pretty good rep for micing acoustic guitars. I don't have one yet, just want one. :)

John

Audio Technica Pro 37, a small diaphragm condensor perfect for ukulele. Gerald Ross uses this Mic to record his cds and they sound fantastic. Get yourself one of these and a little tube preamp.

The LoP didn't come with a pickup. I know LoP sells a passive pickup but I do not want to drill it for the Jack. Does anyone make something that clips in the sound hole that gives a standard 1/4" jack so I can amp it? Really want to input it into my JAM and iPad. I'm Geeky that way :rolleyes:

K&K Sound makes a clamp on mic for a mandolin that may work for a uke. kksound.com

Here's another by L.R. Baggs http://elderly.com/new_instruments/items/RADM.htm

Also, somewhere on Elderly's site they sell a stick-on passive pickup for around 35 dollars. Sticks on with putty so it's easily removable. My Brother has one for his Webber Mandolin and says it works pretty well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom