Questions about active under saddle pickups

Gary Gill

Reaction score
I want to build an electric tenor solid body ukulele using nylon strings. After researching the active under saddle pickups, I am leaning toward using the LR Bagg Five-O. (Thanks Ukeeku and Colin) Are there other active pickups I should consider? What does Eleuke use that includes volume and tone controls?

Last edited:
B-Band U 1.0 is half that price and gets really good feedback-solidbody fluke has it.

The Five-0 is a good pickup and the prewired volume/tone control is nice. IMO the wire leads for the battery are too short for a neck block mount though. And they are pricey.
I prefer the MiSi primarily because it is battery-less (it uses the same Baggs UST as what comes with the Five-0) and they also sell a volume/tone pot for it as well (which needs to be soldered to the preamp circuit board.)

Yup. But I prefer not to use any sound board transducers anymore. When I've installed them I found it best to locate them far from the bridge patch because they are so hot.

B-Band U 1.0 is half that price and gets really good feedback-solidbody fluke has it.

I always avoid any type of feedback when running live sound.

The Five-0 is a good pickup and the prewired volume/tone control is nice. IMO the wire leads for the battery are too short for a neck block mount though. And they are pricey.

Before LRBaggs made the `Ukulele Element and Five-O, I used to order the parts not only OEM, but also non-soldered as all of the wires were too long anyway. They don't do this for just anyone, but I'm sure you could order the Five-O with the Battery uninstalled, or, installed with a longer wire.

As for cost, the minimal difference gets passed on to the customer, and at custom level pricing, inlay costs WAY more anyway.

I'm waiting for Baggs to do a Hipshot Bass Bridge version of the Guitar X-bridge. With the control-x onboard, I'd like to think you could set the board for either `ukulele or U-Bass voicings. That would be cool.

-Aaron

Last edited:
Top Bottom