sound sample - electric vs acoustic amp

v30

Reaction score
Just a quick sound sample to show the differences between an acoustic/electric uke played through an electric guitar amp vs an acoustic guitar amp. First played wtihout amplification, then with the electric amp (on the cleanest setting) at 26 seconds and then the acoustic amp at 58 seconds. The pickup is a passive (and cheap) jjb electronics pickup:

The acoustic amp sounds so much nicer...which one are you using?

Both are cheap amps. The electric is a fender mustang and the acoustic is a laney la12c. The cleanest sound i could get from the mustang was using the aux jack. On the acoustic amp i have the bass turned down as i find the 2 wound strings of the baritone a bit too bassy .

Last edited:
I agree with nongdam, the acoustic amp sounds better. However the original acoustic sound is better still.

Yes, if you need to amplify your Uke for a gig, then you certainly cannot rely on using the "clean" option on your guitar amp.

I found that out the hard way. My Tenor Uke (with pick up) sounded OK at home through the guitar amp with the volume turned down very low, but at the sound check, on stage, it sounded bloody awful! We disconnected it and ran it through the same set up as the vocals (two little Roland Cubes) and that solved that, for now. However, I can see that I am going to have to get a decent acoustic amp one of these days, if we get some more gigs. Your video is pretty convincing evidence of this issue, which has come up a few times recently here. Thanks for recording it.

Nice demo. Makes the point.

Thanks for making this demo.

It's really helpful.

For the past few days I've been playing with a band through a guy's Orange Thunderverb electric head and a 2x12" cabinet. Best my 'ukulele has sounded plugged in in a long time. It's not the best "pure" acoustic tone, but for a unique, tube-y sound with a bit of hair it's awesome. I can only imagine what one of their more clean amps sound like.

Electric amps fall all over the board for appropriateness with an 'ukulele. A tiny solid state one is definitely not the best they can sound. Don't rule them out if you're okay with experimenting.

I'm not much of a purest, but good tone is good tone. To each his own.

Last edited:
For the past few days I've been playing with a band through a guy's Orange Thunderverb electric head and a 2x12" cabinet. Best my 'ukulele has sounded plugged in in a long time. It's not the best "pure" acoustic tone, but for a unique, tube-y sound with a bit of hair it's awesome. I can only imagine what one of their more clean amps sound like.

Electric amps fall all over the board for appropriateness with an 'ukulele. A tiny solid state one is definitely not the best they can sound. Don't rule them out if you're okay with experimenting.

I'm not much of a purest, but good tone is good tone. To each his own.

I don't know much about amps, but my understanding was that the speaker size, or having the tweeter helped with acoustic amplifiers. Indeed, with the cheap solid state amps (Roland Cube 30 and Roland AC60) that I have, there is also a night and day difference between the two when playing acoustically...and one that I probably wouldn't have believed if I hadn't tried a proper acoustic amp.

But I have little doubt that ukes can sound good through a high-quality tube amp also. I bet the tone is different, but must be good. Imagine plugging a solid body into that with some effects.

I also have a Laney Accoustic amp, and am very happy with it. Another off topic discovery with an accoustic guitar through an Amp + 15inch speaker produced a very good sound. Keep experimenting!

Thanks for your demo. The difference is really dramatic, IMO.

For the sake of argument, there are far better amps than the guitar amp used in the video. You can only judge the differences between these two specific amps, not electric guitar amps vs. acoustic amps in general. I play my uke through a Fender SCXD and it sounds brilliant. However, I would typically run direct through an active DI box.

i have a Taylor nylon string guitar that i play through a Fishman loudbox and can recommend that setup. don't have any electrics on the Kala, but would like to hear it. maybe, soon.

i have a Taylor nylon string guitar that i play through a Fishman loudbox and can recommend that setup. don't have any electrics on the Kala, but would like to hear it. maybe, soon.

I have a Fishman Loudbox mini. I am very happy with it.

I've always like running piezo equipped acoustics through solid state bass amps. You have to fiddle around with the EQ but they always get rid of the piezo harshness that I hate but still sound clear.

I don't know much about amps, but my understanding was that the speaker size, or having the tweeter helped with acoustic amplifiers. Indeed, with the cheap solid state amps (Roland Cube 30 and Roland AC60) that I have, there is also a night and day difference between the two when playing acoustically...and one that I probably wouldn't have believed if I hadn't tried a proper acoustic amp.

But I have little doubt that ukes can sound good through a high-quality tube amp also. I bet the tone is different, but must be good. Imagine plugging a solid body into that with some effects.

From my limited perspective, there's also a big difference between my Roland cm30 and my Roland micro cube, also.

Top Bottom