"Dinah"

Jon, always love your stuff... gotta ask.. how long have you been playing.. what started you on uke? do you play other instruments? Do you know music theory or just bang it out? You always play so smooth and with a great sense of timing. Just curious.. hope to be able to play as effortlessly as you do one day..
Bob

Aloha Eugene,
You da coolest man..and you make that new uke sing...love them oldies you play...great job Tasman

love these old songs, done impeccably as always Jon, amazes me how quickly you put those vids up it takes me weeks to learn a song off by heart, you seem to learn a new song every day, some want to play like Jake or George Formby, I just want to be able to play like da eugene man!!!

thankyou so much brothers for these lovely comments, you're all awesome :)

Jon, always love your stuff... gotta ask.. how long have you been playing.. what started you on uke? do you play other instruments? Do you know music theory or just bang it out? You always play so smooth and with a great sense of timing. Just curious.. hope to be able to play as effortlessly as you do one day..
Bob
hey Bob, bought my first uke in 2006, but I began teaching myself acoustic guitar at age 18 around '89-90. So yes, I'm self taught on the uke too, began playing it seriously in 2009. Originally I just bought one out of curiosity, I was doing some home recording and looking for some quirky bits and pieces to add to some arrangements. Didn't play much at all until 3 or so years back when I fell head over heels in love with it, now it's a very rare thing for me to even pick up my guitar. As for the timing thing....that's a kind thing to say mate. I have been a music junkie my entire life and worked around pubs as a singer-songwriter for most of the 90's, and was in a duo for a few years too. Songwriting was the real reason I began playing in the first place, had so much stuff written and needed a vehicle through which to express it - you can only do so many poetry nights! Guitar was the obvious choice. But I think my thing is that I really feel what I do, I'm totally into any song I play and though my vocal talents aren't great, I have found that I have always been able to connect with folks when I play live, which has been a nice thing. These days I hardly ever play in public, I'm here on the farm with the family and leading a very quiet, hermit kinda lifestyle and the days of craziness and over-indulgence are behind me. Youtube has been a recent thing for me and lotsa fun. A quick way to get things off my chest when I need to and I'm glad that a few folks enjoy the songs too. Actually I'm very close to going public with a brand new website whose main purpose is to share the lyrics and chords to the youtube songs with people who have been asking. A labour of love, but it'll keep me busy when I'm not in the garden. :)

But I think my thing is that I really feel what I do, I'm totally into any song I play and though my vocal talents aren't great,I have found that I have always been able to connect with folks when I play live, which has been a nice thing.

and that's what makes your songs special! thanks for the info..and your vocal talents are quite sufficient! You rock the forum with your passion.. thanks for the background.. I would think that those that follow your posts have also enjoyed your back story....

Might be a good subject for a future thread: What brought you to the UKE and why? (if it hasn't already been done). There are many rock stars on this forum who I would really appreciate hearing their stories... there are so many passionate people here.

Cheers.. Bob

What fun! Loved this, Jon.

Thanks for the encouragement Bob, that's real kind of you mate. And thankyou so much Linda and Geoff for watching the clip, glad you enjoyed it :)

Wow, another nice one...

Quite new here, been lurking around and enjoying the camaraderie since I bought my first ukulele about a month ago.

I have to admit I am already a fan of yours; the way you render these songs, singing and this mix of strumming and fingerpicking is for me an inspiration and something I will be working on in the future.

Because I am new to the uke, I searched for cd's that would help me find a "genre" I like and what did I find, suggestions from you. I have bought Ike edwards and it has been playing in my car since then.

I have been playing guitar for 5-6 years and visited different forums on acoustic guitar but this one, UU, is such a special kind of forum. I might even try to participate in the "weeks of the ukulele", something I would not try anywhere else I'm sure.

Sorry for the long post and keep them going Jon, an inspiration
Michel

Top Bottom