Checking interest: DaSilva 3K soprano

Status
Not open for further replies.

NatalieS

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I would like to check interest for my DaSilva 3K replica soprano uke (#243). First of all, I know I'm going to get some grief for selling this uke, but rest assured that I have good reasons for selling! My taste in ukes has changed a lot in the last year. Although I adore this uke for its looks, I no longer care for that vintage soprano tone for the music genres I am playing and singing to. I find myself reaching more for my larger beater uke, because I'm gravitating towards a bigger, more modern sound. I am not in a hurry to sell; however, I want to gauge interest for this uke now, because we're getting into the holiday season and someone may be ready to buy.

Okay, with that said, this ukulele looks and sounds amazing. It's light as a feather, impeccably made with incredible materials, and it plays like butter. The sound is very vintage and very soprano, perfect for Tin Pan Alley style playing and the sort. Physically, the uke is in excellent condition although it does have some light strum marks on the soundboard. Also, there is some bellying/dishing of the soundboard adjacent to the bridge. It doesn't affect the tone, and the bridge is level.

Specs include curly koa top, back, and sides, ebony fretboard, ivoroid binding, and Peghed tuners. Full specs are described at: http://www.ukemaker.com/images/UkeGallery/243-S3K.jpg

I am located in Tampa Bay. New lowered price is $1,350 shipped USPS priority. This includes its DaSilva-exclusive fiberglass case and two extra sets of Southcoast strings. I've read here on the forum that a new DaSilva 3K costs $2,500 to commission, so I hope this uke will make someone very happy at a lower cost. :)

These are old pics and video from when I first received this uke. I'll take new ones in a heartbeat after I get genuine interest from a potential buyer. Feel free to PM questions too. Thanks!

020.jpg

021.jpg

016.jpg

Last edited:
Old video (excuse my poor playing)

EDIT: At the request of a fellow UUer, I've tried to photograph the dishing on the soundboard. It is difficult to capture in photos, but I think this photo illustrates it well. You can see the light peeking under this plastic card, showing where the bellying is. It's just wide enough of a gap for a single sheet of computer paper to slide under, so it's a fraction of a millimeter. Hope this helps...

015-3.jpg

Last edited:
Old video (excuse my poor playing)

Excuse my poor playing? You are no hack Natalie. Your playing is very good and this is an incredible deal! If only I had the cash to take advantage of such a great deal and others that turn up. Best of luck with the sale.

Ray, you're really sweet. I look back on my older videos and instantly notice how stiff my fingers were. I'm trying to get better with that. Having a bit more room on larger ukes is helping.

I added a picture of the bellying to post #2.

Aloha Natalie,
You are the reason I bought my Da Silva martin 3K copy .....I am sorry you are selling yours... ...and mine I think is 2006....
I may try a concert next if I have the money...good luck on your sale...WOW this is a real good deal girl, you sure are giving a good deal..
I'm not sure I'd take a big cut like that if I ever sell mine....fo shua

Last edited:
I am going to get some video today and try to photograph the soundboard better in bright light. The picture above makes it look really pronounced, but that dark curve is a shadow caused by the card, not the shape of the dish itself. The thin sliver of light poking underneath the card is the actual extent of the dish.

Last edited:
That dish is pretty small. It's a lovely ukulele. And I like Qdoba, too.

New videos taken today (sorry they automatically cut off at 1 minute-- not sure why???):

The look of the uke:

Playing:

I love the way this sounds. If I hadn't already ordered a DaSilva that I've been waiting for, I'd probably be all over this

New videos taken today (sorry they automatically cut off at 1 minute-- not sure why???):

The look of the uke:

Playing:

Hi all, I edited a few posts above regarding the bellying in the soundboard. I think Mike makes some of the best instruments out there, and I don't want to seem like I'm spreading negative thoughts regarding his ukes. I realize some of my posts may have come acrosss that way, so while I'll mention my uke's condition, I am going to refrain from speaking for other people and their DaSilva ukes. Thanks...

Beautiful ukulele at a fantastic price. It's also not my style (I love Tenor necks), but that's certainly a great instrument. Good luck with the sale!

Oh man, I wish I could afford this! That is just gorgeous! I played one in Denver last year and it was wonderful... *sigh*

Thank you Chris and experimentjon! I agree, it's a great instrument and so easy to play. I've never played a better soprano than this one, and I think it has spoiled me. ;-)

You sound great on that uke. I love tenors myself, so I guess I could understand, but you certainly play this one well - and it's beautiful.

doug

Many of the great sounding vintage Martin sopranos have a small dip (and others a much larger dip) in front of the bridge. I think there are more with it than without. Beautiful and great sounding uke, BTW.

Many of the great sounding vintage Martin sopranos have a small dip (and others a much larger dip) in front of the bridge. I think there are more with it than without. Beautiful and great sounding uke, BTW.

Dominator, I thought I'd heard that before but couldn't remember where. That's good to know.

If I don't get interest I'll hang on to this uke for the time being. It's definitely a keeper, but I hope someone can put it to better use than I'm currently doing.

Great uke, great price. About the belly and dip....

Lots of talk about the negativity of this, yet every great guitar or uke I've ever played has them. The top is "loaded", which means it's ready to fire, in a manner of speaking. If I play an instrument that is dead, or dull, it is usually a very sturdy top with absolutely no dip.. sure it can get bad, but yours is very acceptable, and shouldn't worry anyone in the market for a very nice uke.

I'd keep it. That's something for the grandkids to mess about with... when they're older, and you are infirm. I hope you have some time before then! ;)

I like your playing as well, you need a good uke. Maybe you have others better than this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom