found - Roy Smeck

Harold O.

Reaction score
I like to think that if I hadn't found this Roy Smeck ukulele, it would have found itself in the trash.

Here in Canoga Park we have a couple of blocks worth of vintage/antique/junk stores lining Sherman Way. It's a good place to spend a few hours, just walking along and looking at old stuff.

In a short pile of who-knows-what, I uncovered a copy of Wolff's Complete Ukulele Instruction Course, circa 1928. Ian Chadwick might have a copy.

Under it was this Roy Smeck soprano. Were they all sopranos back then? I got the book and uke for 20 bucks. Suffice to say, with a little cleaning this is a pretty little instrument. Mahogany construction, plastic fingerboard, friction tuners. I put some low-tension strings on it and strummed away for about thirty eight seconds of glory.

Well, there are several significant cracks along the top grain. I could fix it (I do have a wood shop) but have decided not to mess with it.

While this old uke will hold together, this one is destined to ride out it's days as a conversation set piece. But it ain't in the trash!

roy-smeck-01.jpgroy-smeck-02.jpg

Aloha Harold,
Congrats on your find...actually it looks great all cleaned up and not really too bad....some clear worths or martin m600 should bring that baby's sound back....
with the cheapo plastic fretboard, intonation ..shoud be decent if the factory paid attention to the design...sorry it will be just destined for just a converstional piece..
38 seconds...ha ha your favorite number??

Last edited:
That's a fun find. It's always great to find an oldie like that. I always wonder what the story was behind that old stuff.

I've a similar old Kay I got a a yard sale but it has 1/2" of action. A little high. :D

...38 seconds...ha ha your favorite number??

Gotta run what you brung, Stan.

I put Martins on it. The cracks are too severe. There are no missing slivers, but the buzz...it is safe on display at Guitar Merchant.

Last edited:
I have two of these ukes. I think they make a great beginner uke. The intonation is very good compared to other inexpensive ukes. When you've decided to get a better uke you still have a vintage collectible uke. I see these on Ebay and some go very cheap. I look at these vintage ukes as "sleepers" and expect the value to only go up.

Last edited:
Oh...you found a Roy Smeck, uke - for a minute there I thought this was going to be kind of a creepy thread...

I also have two of them, both with frets in the neck, i.e., not the plastic fret boards. I gotta say that I agree with Pete calling them sleepers. I like the tone. They are pretty good players. The only reason they aren't more expensive is because there are so many of them out there. The ones like have come with brass frets that are not crowned. I crowned mine and it makes them even better players. I got a second one because I would like to cut a slot into the bridge and install a bone saddle on one, maybe even make a raised fingerboard. I suspect with a few alterations, these might be more than just good beginner ukuleles.

I have two of these ukes. I think they make a great beginner uke. The intonation is very good compared to other inexpensive ukes. When you've decided to get a better uke you still have a vintage collectible uke. I see these on Ebay and some go very cheap. I look at these vintage ukes as "sleepers" and expect the value to only go up.

Top Bottom