Correlation between french polishig and polish your satin ukes

mm stan

Mystery Man
UU VIP
Reaction score
Aloha Gang,
It's me again....I wanted to share something with you that I have known
for some time...because you are all so nice:):eek:
For some time I noticed when I put at least 3 or more coats of polish and elbow grease
on my satin ukes, I noticed the more volume, clarity, etc to the ukes.
I believe it works only on certain types of satin finishes...it does not
shine my OU2, but the sound improves too...please try this, first play the uke and remember how it sounds and then give it a good polish.
then play it again and I do you notice a difference...could this be why
violins and guitars with french polish sound so good...it could be that
hidden secret that explains some things.... I think maybe the reason
maybe the seals the pores and contains sound without a heavy finish.
but who knows....hope it helps.. and for all the nay sayers, if you
don't like it, please don't bother me, dont waste my time and yours...ha ha LOL:) good luck and
happy strummings....
PS, I just did my Koaloha and it sure sings now..and to me improved 2
I started this 4 years ago on my cheap rogue.....and still continue this today... I like it best with mahogany ukes..:)
I use Nu Finish Auto Polish and Scratch Doctor which is made by the same company

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips. I always greatly respect your opinions.

I think the reason they seem to sound better initially is because you are exciting the sound board, especially id it hasn't been played for a while. Some acoustic guitarists will play their guitar hard shortly before performing.

Aloha Bruddah Stan,
You know me and my UAS, especially Craigslist Maui when I'm there. I use the polish and scratch doctor to restore used ukes to their original luster and the before and after is amazing. Remember the pix I emailed to you? Oh, the furniture touch up pens works good too. If you need more, just let me know.
As far as sounds, string changes and detailing does wonders for the ones I did this to.
BTW, I emailed you a compiled list of my Ukulele Ohana.
Great tip for those inclined to do so................................BO............................

I think the reason they seem to sound better initially is because you are exciting the sound board, especially id it hasn't been played for a while. Some acoustic guitarists will play their guitar hard shortly before performing.

Aloha Chuck,
thank you, that sounds reasonable and logical and you may be right....another thought was I rubbing the wood and heating it too....you know I might be imagining things but I did just the back and
noticed a bit of a difference too...wish I took physics in school.....darn

The ukulele is responding to the love shown by the effort. :)

Seriously, one can't consider an instrument in isolation. There may or may not be an actual improvement in volume or tone but what has been established by cleaning, polishing, etc., is the expectation of results. I.e. it doesn't much matter whether there has been an actual improvement in sound - there has been an improvement in your perception of the sound and enjoyment of the uke. This in turn may lead you to play more expressively and actually pull better sound from the uke.

Make sense? Who knows, maybe I'm just blowing smoke. LOL

John

I have to agree with Chuck. The polish itself has nothing to do with the sound, its the act of polishing that warms and excites the wood allowing it to open up a bit before you play it. I was once in a fine classical guitar shop and the owner said he always rubs and warms the top plate before allowing folks to try out an instrument.

As players, we don't normally warm up an instrument before we play it, we just take it out of the case, tune it up a bit and start playing. Of course after some time, the instrument is more alive and responds better. That is why a musician will warm up and play their instrument before a performance. I suppose if we warm up a instrument by playing it rather than rubbing it, we also will be the better for it. And please, no sexual jokes allowed!

Aloha Bruddah Stan:

It's most likely that what Chuck is saying is behind the experience you recount. I find that my ukuleles seem to "wake up" after about 20 minutes of playing. I had a conversation about this some time ago with Brian Hefferan who told me has experienced the same phenomenon. I've been reluctant to say anything about it on the forum since so many people take issue with the idea of "opening up" or "playing in," I can imaginine how they would react to the suggestion that ukuleles "wake up." What Chuck writes seems to support the idea, however.

French polish is a method of applying shellac. Shellac finished instruments sound good because the finish can be applied in very thin coats. This is from the LMI site:

A thin French polished shellac finish, though, is very light and flexible, making it arguably the best finish for the tone or voice of a musical instrument. Even with the wide variety of lacquers, urethanes, and varnishes available to finishers today, French polish is still considered the premiere finish for concert classical guitars, and for restoring or repairing the old finishes on early guitars and other antique instruments. French polishing is also an indispensable skill/tool for repairing or touching up most of the other finishes found on acoustic instruments.

I don't know about Nu Finish, but I am aware that many of the the auto polishes are essentially micro abrasives suspended in a liquid. You have to rub hard, sometimes you are better off with a buffer actually, to get a high gloss shine. I haven't used it on musical instruments. I've used a 3M product on some of my paintings, with a buffer, however, in order to get a a gloss finish to the surface without applying a varnish.

Okay, so Duane responded while I was composing my post. I feel great about what I said now that two of the best luthiers in the world can provide a basis for my observations.

The ukulele is responding to the love shown by the effort. :)

Seriously, one can't consider an instrument in isolation. There may or may not be an actual improvement in volume or tone but what has been established by cleaning, polishing, etc., is the expectation of results. I.e. it doesn't much matter whether there has been an actual improvement in sound - there has been an improvement in your perception of the sound and enjoyment of the uke. This in turn may lead you to play more expressively and actually pull better sound from the uke.

Make sense? Who knows, maybe I'm just blowing smoke. LOL

John

I understand what Chuck is saying about the rubbing exciting the molecules of the wood. But like John says, perception has a lot to do with it also. I seem to end up talking to my ukes when I polish them; telling them how much I appreciate them and how good they sound. It just comes out sub-conciously. I'm sure some agency will come and take me away someday for speaking to inanimate objects. So far I'm not too worried but latley, for some reason, I think they're starting to answer me in a woodsy sort of way.

Aloha Gang,
Thank you all for your input....Yes I think we may all gain from this thread....John I don't think it is percerption...I been doing this for years...I am not fooling myself believing this..maybe
like Chuckie said, it is warming up the properties of the wood.....
I think there is something to this as Chuckie, Duwayne and Howie has mentioned......I can definetely hear a difference and it is very noticable for me....it may well be a way to open
up your new ukes if you have an open mind and try it...happy strummings...
PS if anyone tries...let me know what you think...thank you

Last edited:
And my car is much faster after I wax it.

I heard French Polishing too often will grow hair on your palms :eek:

Top Bottom