Sealed Gear Tuners, better?

hobnob

Reaction score
Are they preferred? Seems like the retailers push them when selling. Is there any benefit to buying sealed?

None that I've ever found. Heavier for no good reason. I prefer open geared tuners.

No real benefit IMO. Theoretically, they keep the gears cleaners and sealed off from the real world, but unless you're playing in a dust storm or other adverse conditions, I don't see an advantage.

I don't think retailers are really pushing them, just pointing out "features" on what they're selling.

My most expensive tenor ($1000+) has open geared Grovers. Sealed tuners are heavier and a hang over from the guitar parts bin.

I also think open gears look better on ukes.

beach ukuleles - definitely an advantage. I hate the crushing sound of the cogs on sand particles.
All the more for avoiding geared and staying with good quality light friction tuners all round!

Has anyone actually compared the weight of an open gear Grover vs a Closed gear Grover mini Rotomatic? I'd be willing to bet they are very close to the same weight all things being equal like tuning knobs. (metal vs plastic)

Last edited:
Has anyone actually compared the weight of an open gear Grover vs a Closed gear Grover mini Rotomatic? I'd be willing to bet they are very close to the same weight all things being equal like tuning knobs. (metal vs plastic)

Gordon at Mya Moe weighed the geared tuners they use at something like 3.4 ounces (it's in one of his youtube videos). The PegHeads he compared them to were, as I recall, about 0.9 ounce. He did not look at open geared tuners. I don;t have to weigh them to know the open geared tuners are less than closed.

The questions then becomes does 1-1.5 ounces make a big difference at the headstock. Many ways to look at that one (body size and weight, etc.)

Other than a beach ukulele--you know what, even then I'd not want closed--I'd never actively choose closed gear tuners on any ukulele.

That said, my KOaloha tenor has them, as does my Bruko baritone. Go figure.

Last edited:
Usually the closed tuners have higher ratios - but not always. On a ukulele a higher ratio doesn't really matter anyway (I actually prefer friction pegs on soprano and concert ukes).

John

That said, my KOaloha tenor has them, as does my Bruko baritone. Go figure.
That prompted me to do a quick research on Kamaka, Koaloha, Koolau and the Kanilea standard tenor/soprano ukes. The Kamaka, Koaloha and Koolau tenors use sealed geared tuner for their standard tenor ukes. Kanilea uses open geared tuner for their tenor uke. Kanilea uses open geared tuner for their soprano while the other three Ks use friction tuners.

I have ukuleles friction tuners, with sealed geared tuners and with open geared tuners and I haven't noticed any particular difference with balance or ease or difficulty of use with any of them.

I must admit that aesthetically, I prefer friction tuners on soprano and concert ukes, but as long as they do their job I can't say I'm unduly bothered which type I have.

Top Bottom