FS: Pohaku Blondie Island Girl Tenor

Status
Not open for further replies.

erivel

Reaction score
FS: Pohaku Blondie Island Girl Tenor (SOLD)

For sale: my beloved one-of-a-kind Pohaku tenor. Dubbed "Blondie Island Girl" by its maker Peter Hurney of Berkeley, California. I bought it new from Peter on June 20, 2011.

Specs:
Top: Solid one piece Sitka Spruce
Back/Sides: Big Leaf Curly Maple
Neck/fingerboard/bridge: Birds Eye Maple
Inlay: Mother Of Pearl, Turquoise, and Coral
Back Stripe: Walnut
Nut: Micarta
Saddle: Bone
Tuners: Grover
Nut width: 1.5 inches
Scale length: 17 inches

Peter's description of the ukulele:

This is a fabulous tenor ukulele. It looks great, sounds great and plays smooth as silk.

I coupled a spruce soundboard with a beautiful curly maple body which in my experience has been an excellent combo. of woods to make a ukulele out of albeit somewhat no-traditional. I chose a curly maple neck matched with a birds-eye maple fretboard, bridge and peghead cap to complete the 'blondie' theme. Spruce soundboards provide warm low notes and allow the instruments high notes to sparkle as well. It has a well balanced sound with a even tonal response. The set up, action and intonation are excellent and the neck is smooth and fast. The finish on the instrument is glossy, smooth and shiny.

The artwork is an island girl with a flower in her hair all ready for a warm tropical day.She is inlaid in Mother of Pearl and Turquoise. I repeated the blue turquoise accents down the birds-eye maple fingerboard as oval fret markers and also added a splash of turquoise on the bridge wings. It is a bold somewhat loud composition for me to have executed but she is a bold, loud and outspoken gal.

The instrument measures approx. 26" long, weighs approx. 21 ozs. and comes with an included quality form fitting case.

Ok, so if you've seen my videos you know I've played the snot out of this uke. Here are the only issues to note (see attached pics):

1) strum marks above and under the fingerboard by the sound hole.

2) 3 small impression marks on the back of the neck (they were there when I bought it new, perhaps shop wear)

3) Inside the body along the seam of where the two pieces of book matched flamed maple meet, Peter has a wood piece with a diamond pattern to cover the walnut stripe. There is a small portion that does not meet the first back brace. I don't think this wood piece serves any function other than to cover the join mark. At any rate Peter left it like that so it must be okay.

Currently strung with Mahana strings on the top three and a D'Addario J4504 Classical D guitar string for the low G.

Please check out my YouTube channel in my sig for sound samples.

SOLD

Please email me with questions: ecv31@hotmail.com

8181354612_9560509cc9_b.jpg

8181324941_18c3cdd659_b.jpg

8181324397_4d4bdbb2cf_b.jpg

8181358914_1c1d9e18c8_b.jpg

Last edited:
some more pics...

8181376015_8ac14c6df6_b.jpg

(Note: there is a reflection of the G string on the top, not a crack)
8181357786_825dcd4cf0_b.jpg

8181322225_618f591932_b.jpg

8181353356_e327493fa4_b.jpg

Last edited:
OOOOOHHHHHHH my beating heart. Eugenie! It's medication time dear....aaaaaarrrrrrghghghggh :drool:

Eric, how come you selling? Upgrade?

That is an amazing ukulele. That inlay would, generally, cost twice that much just to start a ukulele. Add in birdseye maple fretboard, fiddleback maple body, and it's killer! Eric, that is a superb ukulele. One of a kind from a master of his craft, Peter.

I know from mine, and the others that have a PoHaku (like Jay's "The Sheriff" on a concurrent UU Thread), that Peter HUrney never misses a beat. Every instrument perfect.

This will fly.

Congrats Eric . . . hooo, dat means you gotta buy him one uke when he ready fo play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom