Tuning Up One Step - stretching the strings

Laurence

Reaction score
Is this pretty common or is it just me? I think this concert Kala uke sounds even brighter tuned up one step. This song is played in D using C fingerings :eek:

Each string has it's own sweet spot, as does each player's ear As long as it doesn't yank your bridge clean off the instrument, it's all good.

I would suspect there's a direct relationship between increased string tension and perceived brightness....

I've had it tuned up for about a month now, no movements in the top, neck or bridge. I wonder about the tension tho with these aquila strings.

I keep a Kala soprano permanently in D tuning. It does make it sound brighter. That's - in part at least - because it is tuned higher.

I also keep a concert in Bb tuning - sounds more mellow.

Having ukes in different tunings increases choices when deciding how to accompany a song.

Last edited:
I tried tuning up my spalted maple Kala (full size), but didn't like the tone. This thinline Kala seems to handle the tension a lot better. Maybe the smaller internal volume fits the higher pitch? I dunno.

I'd work in the basis that tension in uke strings isn't all that great, so suspect factory built Kalas probably have tolerances that suggest strings would snap before the ukulele.

All of that said, prolonged use may invalidate a warranty, skew the neck etc. at the very least you may go through strings quicker.

For other brightness experiments have you tried other alternate open tunings?

I like D tuning a lot! Some soprano ukes just sound better that way (has to do with body size and corresponding resonance frequencies)
Usually, unless you have a uke of poor quality, tuning it up one step or two won't do any damage to it, especially if you use Aquilas as they are not very tense. Ukes are meant to accomodate for a certain range of string tensions. Many Swedes and Canadians use D tuning.

Tuning a ukulele up one step to "D" is not major.
Many parts of world standard tuning is "D".
For years players tuned ADF#B, many of those ukuleles are now considered vintage collectibles and are prized possessions and they are still together.
If you like "D" tuning go for it.

Sounds like its okay to tune a concert or soprano up one step. What about a tenor with Aquila strings? The sounding length being longer, would this put too much tension on the top or bridge?

Sounds like its okay to tune a concert or soprano up one step. What about a tenor with Aquila strings? The sounding length being longer, would this put too much tension on the top or bridge?
I have one 14 fret concert that the bridge area bellys out and the bridge tilts slightly forward when tuned up one step, I tune that one to C. Another 14 fret concert has a vey slight tilt at D. Others 12 ànd 14 no problem. If installed (glued ) properly the bridge will not pop off at 1 stephigher.

Tenors sound great tuned a bit lower, like Bflat :)

I just looked on the Kala web page. The scale length (nut to bridge) of the tenor is 2 1/8" longer than the 14 fret concert model. I would assume the tenor has a lot more tension. Good idea to check the top and see how much it bellys out. I think the large body tenor would sound great tuned to Bb. It didn't sound good tuned up to D, but the thin body (traveler model) did.

Just for fun, I looked up the wire tension on different sized pianos.
Steinway Grand Pianos Length Scale Tension
S (Baby) 5'1" 32,300 lb
M (Medium) 5'7" 33,800 lb
O (Living Room) 5'10" 41,800 lb
A (Parlor) 6'2" 41,800 lb
B (Music Room) 6'11" 39,000 lb
D (Concert) 8'11" 45,400 lb

And somewhere I read cheap uprights only have 5,000lbs.

I believe Aquila make a special set for D tuning. Presumably they are slightly thinner so that the tension remains about the same as a standard set.

I've just had a look at my Kala and there doesn't look to be any distortion of the top round the bridge. I have it strung with Ken Middleton's living water strings which are just a soprano set for GCEA tuning.

I really like the D tuning on sopranos - I use it on my Kiwaya, my pocket uke and my plastic uke. I also think tuning cheap ukes that way improves the sound a lot.

When I attented a James Hill workshop he tuned his tenor uke down to C to play with us but then when he performed a few songs he tuned it back to D. When one of the fellow attendants asked why he told that he use that tuning because he was raised to that and that he liked better the response, it was quicker for his style of playing - as for me I gave up playing tenors because I couldn't stand the tension, even in C.

I'm in teacher's college. One school where I did my placement had a ukulele program for the grade 6's, which I did a lot of teaching for. One day I decided to tune the entire class set of ukes up to d (took me a good 20 minutes) as an experiment. To my ears, it sounded brighter and more lively. Probably because it was also higher.
The only drawback I encountered was the increase in string height. Since the class ukes were budget instruments, some had pretty bad neck angles. But for the most part it seemed to work well and sound good.

Top Bottom