Are there really that many people viewing?

electrauke

Reaction score
Hey guys, you know how it say how many people are viewing each section of the UU Forums. I do not believe there are that many people viewing, is it true?

hey Andre

No I think you'll find the figures are accurate mate. 'Viewers' also takes into account the guests (non-members), whose names do not appear at the bottom of the screen, and those members who, for whatever reason, wish to remain private, their names do not appear either. When you first log in you will see the list of people currently on the website. The ratio of guests - usually - far outweighs the membership at any given time. Right now for example it's a 4:1 ratio.

I never "log out" - too much of a pain to sign in. Does that mean I am always counted as viewing even when I am far away from my computer and not viewing ?

Most of the "viewers" are search engine web crawlers.

What does that explanation mean ?

Bots are automated scripts (usually referred to as spiders) which crawl the web and index content, sites, and forums for various search engines such as Google, Bing, Yahoo, etc. They do not represent any harm to your forum, and should generally be left alone as they can help bring in users to your forum who may be searching for information that is on your forum.

Does that make sense?

thanks Freeda and Big K, you learn something new everyday :eek:ld: And here I thought we were all real people :p Shucks...I need to get out more he he

Big Brother is watching you- that is the FBI, CIA(they don't even have a boss) and the NSI, not to mention the FBU(Federal Bureau of Ukulele) and that Australian spy moderator.

The FBU? I thought that was just a story. They're real?

One of the things to remember is that, depending on how the web server is configured, a user that is listed as viewing the site may have actually left hours ago - it all depends on how long the server keeps http sessions open in the absence of activity.

When you are viewing UU (or most any other forum) your computer is not in constant contact with the server. Instead, when you hit a page the session is updated and the session timer kept alive. If you don't do anything that hits the server for a while then the session will close. You may have seen this if you've ever edited a long, thoughtful, extroardinarily brilliant post only to have the system poop on you when you hit the submit button - it means the session timed out and you need to log back in before you can submit a message.

This is, however, a very active forum and I don't think the session timeout is unusually long (which would tend to inflate the "users here now" stats). I have had the session time out on me once or twice when I was editing a particularly wonderful post... LOL

John

What John said. Also if a viewer goes to several different subsections then the 1 viewer will be counted on each subsection until it times out.

Anthony

Big Brother is watching you- that is the FBI, CIA(they don't even have a boss) and the NSI, not to mention the FBU(Federal Bureau of Ukulele) and that Australian spy moderator.

oi...I resemble that remark! Truth is brother, not too much spying goes on down in these parts, 'bout the most exciting thing I saw today was a kookaburra doing a poo off the washing line :p

Top Bottom