40th ngsaidg

thylton

Reaction score
Will be getting a Makala MK-C soon and was wondering if anyone had suggestions for a tuner and beginner song book. I am a complete novice, having never played any instrument.

thylton

You can't go wrong with a "snark" tuner. The SN-6 is only about $20

sn_6_ukulele.jpg

I can't help you with the book, sorry, but some one will be along with a good suggestion. :)

Last edited:
Sorry about the crazy title. Didn't realize the image verification was in the title line.

Thylton

Regarding the tuner: it should be a chromatic (clip-on) tuner in any case, don't get fooled by "special ukulele tuners" or the like. If you own a smartphone you might even consider a free app (e.g. DaTuner for Android) - no need to spend real money unless you need to tune in noisy environments.
Be prepared to tuning quite often in the beginning, new strings need a couple of days to settle properly

Recommending the book is pretty difficult without knowing you - Al Wood's "Ukulele for Dummies" might be worth a look (have a closer look at it in your local bookstore or a sneak preview on amazon) to get some basics right.
Or you start off with the online video lessons here on UU...

I don't own it, but I've heard good things about the book Ukulele for Dummies. I use the Snark SN-2 tuner, the red one.

There is an incredible wealth of information available online for beginner ukulele players. Take a look at the lessons here at UU and google "ukulele tutorial" or "beginner ukulele songs" and you will be on your way.

I have Ukulele for Dummies and it's very good. Lot's of useful information and covers both different styles of music and different styles of playing.

I'll second the snark SN2. I have two. I also have a Korg CA30 chromatic tuner which I use most of the time at home. DaTuner for Android is very useful though I mostly use it for setting up my flute when I put it together and rarely for my uke.

On Tuners, I also recommend the Snark - I recently won one here on "The Seasons" Competition! :)

As for Books, I can recommend the The Hal Leonard Ukulele Method - I started with Book 2 because I already played other stringed instruments, but still earned a lot from it. I imagine a complete beginner would enjoy Book 1.

Here is my review of Book Two on Amazon:

I did not use this book as a follow on from Book 1. However, from a quick look at that book I am guessing that it concentrates on the key of C and Am. The so-called home keys of the ukulele.

This book takes the advanced beginner further using a few more useful keys. It does this by introducing the keys and then presenting popular songs that use the chords within that key. The songs chosen are fun and well-known. If you have a good ear, you might even be able to recognise that those chord changes are behind other well-known favourites. So, for example,"Uke-In' the Rags" (P31) provides you with the chords and sequence you would need to play Robert Johnson's "Hot Tamales and they're Red Hot" while track 13 provides the changes behind the blues standard "Make me a Pallet on your Floor".

The book is also very good at explaining and illustrating more advanced strumming techniques. On top of that, there is a great section on boogie-woogie picking.

Overall, I think you will have hours of fun with this book and really feel you're getting somewhere with the instrument when you finish it. What more could you ask from a tutor book?

So, if you enjoy Book 1, I'm sure you'll feel you're really getting somewhere if you go on to Book 2.

Happy strumming!

Top Bottom