PDA

View Full Version : A day with the intonation pixie...

Pete Howlett
11-14-2012, 03:06 AM
OK - so here we have a 5 string (I know, I know - it was a moment of weakness) electric ukulele bass... What a nightmare getting the intonation right for those rubber strings. This is the final mock-up using a pine bridge screwed to the front of the instrument!

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj589/HowlettUkulele/IMG_0286.jpg

It took several attempts to get the intonation right, the most part being stretching those darned strings. I am going to make a 4 string firefly version using my baritone body shape and the much more sensible Pyramid strings...

Timbuck
11-14-2012, 04:15 AM
That a nice looking instrument Pete..I'd have given it a bit more compensation on the bass side judging by the gauge dia of those strings..about 1/4" :) ...Good idea tho' screwing the bridge to set it..screw holes will be covered with the final one I suppose.

Rick Turner
11-14-2012, 04:46 AM
One word...

Fretless...

The Big Kahuna
11-14-2012, 05:17 AM
Two words...

Fender Jazz...

ukulian
11-14-2012, 06:43 AM
The Aquila Thundergut are much simpler to set up, with loads less stretch to worry about. :)

Pete Howlett
11-14-2012, 08:05 AM
You would have thought it would be 1/4" but it isn't... I have made 3 bridges for this thang and you are right rick, the next one is fretless!

Timbuck
11-14-2012, 08:46 AM
You would have thought it would be 1/4" but it isn't

I was comparing it to this one Pete ..I had a play on one of these but I didn't like it much..I like the long scale PB type.
http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc143/shiregreenbod/ubass.jpg

Pete Howlett
11-14-2012, 11:07 AM
I was using a U-Bass as a template until I put an electronic tuner on it - they don't intonate well or at least the one I had didn't. The Schaller unit that Kala use is preset and I think this is where they get it wrong. I'm using an original Headway pickup designed for the original gibson made Ashbory or whatever it was. Since i am not using the Schaller system i get to control the intonation better. This piece is for a professional musician so it has to be right. He loaned me his pre-amp and tuner to get the whole thing right. He also likes those polyurethane strings too.

The worst thing about this project is the Hipshot tuners - I had to refit the posts on all of them so they would seat properly and disassemble well. Expect the Pyramid strings to work with Pegheds...