11-14-2012, 03:48 AM
I miss the Undie Awards.

ukeeku
11-14-2012, 04:20 AM
they are no more?

hoosierhiver
11-14-2012, 04:29 AM
they are no more?

There were some turds who were cheating on the voting and ruined the spirit of the whole thing making the guys not want to do it anymore. I hope I'm wrong about this, but that's what I remember.

Kanaka916
11-14-2012, 05:04 AM
The 2010 Undies was the last one held and because of the allegations of cheating, it was discontinued. The Undies was a great way to end the year and it was designed to recognize the talent(s) of ukulele players worldwide by their peers and also to perpetuate this wonderful instrument. Unfortunately, a few contestant(s) decided it was in their best interest to change the outcome of the voting. As Ryan said, this was totally disrespectful to the ukulele community and a slap in the face to the UU Staff as they put a lot of effort, money and time into this project. Whether or not it will be revived will be totally at the discretion of the Staff.

Kanaka916
11-14-2012, 05:19 AM
If anyone is interested, the following links are videos of the 2010 Undie Awards Presentations . . .
Undie Awards 2010 (Pt. 1) (http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/14228751)
Undie Awards 2010 (Pt. 2) (http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/14229397)

hoosierhiver
11-14-2012, 05:32 AM
I'd love to see it happen again.
If they revive it, I'd suggest the UU staff pick a group of senior members for the award voting to prevent any further jackassery.

Mim
11-14-2012, 07:04 AM
I agree... they are missed. I think the senior member idea is a good one. Kinda like for the movies you have to be a member of the screen actors guild.

vanflynn
11-14-2012, 07:58 AM
Maybe the hosts of the Seasons contest that year?

bbycrts
11-14-2012, 09:21 AM
They were really fun until bad behavior made them not fun any more. Too bad, too...the guys here work so hard to make this the best community on the web and 99% of the time their work pays off. That 1% when someone decides to act like a brat really saps the spirit.

Keep it up guys - never let the brats get you down! You (UU Staff) are awesome.

CoLmes
11-14-2012, 09:31 AM
The old UU.. undies, open mics, awesome contests. Miss that.

gyosh
11-14-2012, 10:15 AM
Bring 'em back!!

I think the panel idea would work.

Hippie Dribble
11-14-2012, 10:19 AM
I too hope that Ryan, Aaron and Aldrine will reconsider and bring them back this year. Another vote for a selected judging panel from me, that'd do the trick. :)

ukeeku
11-14-2012, 10:23 AM
Panel plus polls. Pols help the panel decide, but not the final word.
also this time the awards should be actual undies.

gyosh
11-14-2012, 10:26 AM
Panel plus polls. Pols help the panel decide, but not the final word.
also this time the awards should be actual undies.

Aaron, Aldrine and Ryan's?

dkcrown
11-14-2012, 02:59 PM
Back in the days of the Undies, the UU would feature the "video of the week" on the home page. I think this promoted more member videos to be watched by members that otherwise might not be so inclined to search out these videos. And as a result more people would vote that actually had seen the videos. I still remember Anna uk's smurf video as one of my favorites.

chrimess
11-14-2012, 03:09 PM
In my next season (the anniversary) I might require players to records vids in their undies with naked ukes.

Maybe the hosts of the Seasons contest that year?

bonesigh
11-14-2012, 03:43 PM
The undies were fun and I remember that great smurf video. It is too bad that a few rotten apples in the barrel spoil 'em all. But hey, you could always make a uke out of the barrel!

Tigeralum2001
11-14-2012, 04:20 PM
I vote to bring back the Undies! There must be a way to limit IP addresses to a certain number of votes, etc.? Panel is another great idea.

gitarzan
11-14-2012, 04:31 PM
Sometimes I play my uke in my undies. I suppose that's not the same.

itsme
11-14-2012, 04:57 PM
I miss the Undies, too. :( It was a great way to catch up on the good stuff that comes out of the community here.

I was appalled that with such a community spirit like we have at UU, anyone would try to cheat, or even want to. I just don't see how an award can actually mean anything to someone who had to cheat to get it.

sukie
11-15-2012, 03:02 AM
I miss the Undies. I wish they would come back.

CoLmes
11-15-2012, 03:37 AM
Unfortunately, I don't see why they would bring it back.. they were having problems with the contests with people, even winners, complaining. They had to deal with that after they worked hard to get us good winnable gear and put together a quality contest. A custom Koaloha, a custom Mya Moe. Sucgh amazing prizes to win. I think the Undies was the last straw for them. I think they used the Undies to hsohwcase and bring together the UU community. When they saw what was happening, I think they lost their desire to do that. Would you want to work hard for a community that wasn't appreciating what you were doing? I know it was just a few people, but still.

I miss the old times :(

UKISOCIETY
11-15-2012, 04:32 AM
http://www4.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/My+Children+Celebrates+Taping+10+000th+Episode+33V bpDAbqQSl.jpg

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Don't remind me!

molokinirum
11-15-2012, 06:10 AM

I agree!!!

ukeshale
11-15-2012, 06:28 AM
I'd love to see it happen again.
If they revive it, I'd suggest the UU staff pick a group of senior members for the award voting to prevent any further jackassery.

I like this idea.

Doc_J
11-15-2012, 07:10 AM
Yes, the Undies and MVOW are greatly missed.

Wish we would see Deach and RussBuss and their excellent videos around more often, too.

UkiSociety, you crack me up.

The current Seasons of the Ukulele Contests are an excellent showcase of UU talent .

dkcrown
11-15-2012, 08:32 AM
http://www4.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/My+Children+Celebrates+Taping+10+000th+Episode+33V bpDAbqQSl.jpg

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Don't remind me!

Ha ha Alan. That brings back many memories. Were you always a bridesmaid, the runner up, or the Susan Lucci of the Undies? I thought that you won something on the Undies once.

ukeeku
11-15-2012, 08:49 AM
Here is an idea, just an idea...
Why not do them ourselves? maybe not call them the Undies.
Vote on:
Best video in different genres
Best host of a contest
Most posts in a year
Maybe some service awards for those that seem to always help others

those are just off the top of my head.
for prizes, we have tons of people that could help with that. I have some contacts from doing my site, or some of the sellers or vendors could help.

just an idea. now discuss

electrauke
11-15-2012, 10:51 AM

What were the undies anyway? I was not here in 2010. And also regarding the quote above, was ukulele underground better be fore and why?

seeso
11-15-2012, 11:23 AM
I vote to bring back the Undies! There must be a way to limit IP addresses to a certain number of votes, etc.? Panel is another great idea.

There was a limit of one vote per IP address. Unfortunately, with the proliferation of smart phones, it's possible to drive around and have a different IP every 5 minutes.

seeso
11-15-2012, 11:23 AM
Here is an idea, just an idea...
Why not do them ourselves? maybe not call them the Undies.
Vote on:
Best video in different genres
Best host of a contest
Most posts in a year
Maybe some service awards for those that seem to always help others

those are just off the top of my head.
for prizes, we have tons of people that could help with that. I have some contacts from doing my site, or some of the sellers or vendors could help.

just an idea. now discuss

I'd be down with this idea. Are you offering to coordinate?

CoLmes
11-15-2012, 11:24 AM
There was a limit of one vote per IP address. Unfortunately, with the proliferation of smart phones, it's possible to drive around and have a different IP every 5 minutes.

wow lol.. imagine someone driving around getting their UU votes up..

itsme
11-15-2012, 11:47 AM
wow lol.. imagine someone driving around getting their UU votes up..
Or using proxies or an automated script to stuff the ballot. Happens a lot in on-line voting, unfortunately.

Tootler
11-15-2012, 12:56 PM
What were the undies anyway? I was not here in 2010. And also regarding the quote above, was ukulele underground better be fore and why?

Yes, what were they? I wasn't around then either.

OldePhart
11-15-2012, 01:03 PM
The way to do it is to modify the forum software (pretty easy to do since it is php) to add contest-specific functionality that would limit each UU forum account to one vote in any particular contest. Then, all you have to do is watch for/prevent bogus accounts and they already do a pretty good job of that, here.

I actually considered developing a third-party site that sites like this could use as a web service to manage contests (I was considering it since the "seasons" challenge seems to be trending toward participant judging the last few weeks). I have vacation time I have to burn before January so I may actually have some time to do this the week of Christmas once we get this project put to bed at work.

John

AnnaUK
11-15-2012, 01:50 PM
Back in the days of the Undies, the UU would feature the "video of the week" on the home page. I still remember Anna uk's smurf video as one of my favorites.

The undies were fun and I remember that great smurf video.

Thank you both very much for the nice comments. I'm glad you liked the Smurfing antics :D

I liked both the Undies and MVOW, it was great to see the fantastic videos that people came up with.

Regarding the voting, perhaps one vote per member, and you must have a certain number of posts or have been a member a week to be eligible to vote? I recall suggesting at the time that the voting was made "blind" - (in that the graphs which showed how many votes each person had were removed so the cheats couldn't work out how many fake votes they'd have to cast to win.) Just my two cents worth :2cents:

Anna :)

dkcrown
11-15-2012, 02:22 PM

The Undies were Ukulele Underground's version of the Grammys or Emmys. Members would vote for their favorite videos of the year in various categories.

gyosh
11-15-2012, 02:31 PM
Do there need to be prizes attached?

That's probably where the motivation for cheating originated.

Why not compete for a plaque and permanent recognition in an Undies thread?

itsme
11-15-2012, 02:43 PM
The problem with an IP-based system is that not everyone is on a static. While there are fewer people on dial-up these days, there are shared situations (work, school, library, roommates/siblings, etc.). At my forum we rarely IP ban someone because of the potential collateral damage.

The way to do it is to modify the forum software (pretty easy to do since it is php) to add contest-specific functionality that would limit each UU forum account to one vote in any particular contest. Then, all you have to do is watch for/prevent bogus accounts and they already do a pretty good job of that, here.
I wonder if someone's done that already. Perhaps someone at vbulletin.org has written an add-on mod for it. I just glanced briefly and saw there was a mod to not show poll results until the poll has closed. Something like that might work here. And maybe a filter to allow voting only by people registered for a certain length of time/number of posts.

Do there need to be prizes attached?

That's probably where the motivation for cheating originated.

Why not compete for a plaque and permanent recognition in an Undies thread?
The Undies awards were plaques. During the on-line ceremonies, all members watching the show were able to participate in giveaways and drawings. I actually won something in the last one. :)

hoosierhiver
11-15-2012, 03:05 PM
Those were plaques were sweeeet, but I was thrilled just to get a nomination the first year.

UncleElvis
11-15-2012, 03:13 PM
Those were plaques were sweeeet, but I was thrilled just to get a nomination the first year.

This.

I think I'd faint if I got nominated...

UncleElvis
11-15-2012, 03:14 PM
I'd be down with this idea. Are you offering to coordinate?

I suck at coordinating, but I agree... doing this ourselves is probably the best way to do it.

I'd be in to help wherever I could.

ukeeku
11-15-2012, 03:41 PM
How about the UUser's Choice Awards?

sukie
11-15-2012, 04:34 PM

I'll help ya, Tim.

Love the idea.

salukulady
11-15-2012, 07:08 PM

Growing pains.

Like any online group, it was smaller, closer and more personal.

paw123los
11-15-2012, 08:14 PM
I miss the Undies too.

I remember that the Undies night was my sleepless night. Not because of excitement, but because when they were live it was 2 am. in Poland :)

But it was always worth it - great fun.

I also miss those contests and all other stuff of old days ...

UncleElvis
11-16-2012, 03:32 AM

Where's that darn "Like" button?

electrauke
11-17-2012, 05:51 AM
Hey these Undies sounded pretty cool. I would volunteer to be any help if we were to do this ourselves, in fact who wants to do this ourselves, because I WANT TO!!!!!!!!!