New Uke Day! KoAlana Soprano

gitarzan

Reaction score
Finally, it is home. I ordered from the www.theukulelesite.com. They shipped it quickly and it was packed very well. I ordered the Oahu hard shell with it. It's a very nice case. The uke arrived yesterday, but I wasn't home to sign for it so I had it redirected to a local FedEx location and went to get it after work today.

I opened it up in the Jeep, I couldn't wait. Hence the pictures.

Now this is the KoAlana, made by/for Koaloha in Thailand. There is no serial number that I can see, but there is a stamp inside that says June 2012, so this must still be the primo batch made by Koaloha workers.

Finish is plain as can be. Very matte, the color is a warm brownish tan.

It plays and sounds like a little angel. Clear as a bell and and plays like a dream. The frets are a little smaller than those on my Kala, so I have to unslop my fingering to avoid buzz.

It's quite loud, and the timbre is high but not too sparkly. It sounds the way I wanted it to sound. I'm having a ball with it. I played in the Jeep for about half an hour.

Attachments

• 2012-11-14_17-00-09_390.jpg
    2012-11-14_17-00-09_390.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 77
  • 2012-11-14_17-00-48_959.jpg
    2012-11-14_17-00-48_959.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 55
  • 2012-11-14_17-00-16_654.jpg
    2012-11-14_17-00-16_654.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 51
  • 2012-11-14_17-00-38_363.jpg
    2012-11-14_17-00-38_363.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 50
  • 2012-11-14_17-01-06_486.jpg
    2012-11-14_17-01-06_486.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 43
Finally, it is home. I ordered from the www.theukulelesite.com. They shipped it quickly and it was packed very well. I ordered the Oahu hard shell with it. It's a very nice case. The uke arrived yesterday, but I wasn't home to sign for it so I had it redirected to a local FedEx location and went to get it after work today.

I opened it up in the Jeep, I couldn't wait. Hence the pictures.

Now this is the KoAlana, made by/for Koaloha in Thailand. There is no serial number that I can see, but there is a stamp inside that says June 2012, so this must still be the primo batch made by Koaloha workers.

Finish is plain as can be. Very matte, the color is a warm brownish tan.

It plays and sounds like a little angel. Clear as a bell and and plays like a dream. The frets are a little smaller than those on my Kala, so I have to unslop my fingering to avoid buzz.

It's quite loud, and the timbre is high but not too sparkly. It sounds the way I wanted it to sound. I'm having a ball with it. I played in the Jeep for about half an hour.
Congrats on your new Koalana...woo hoo You know I used Nu finish with three coats and elbow grease on the flat satin and became a high gloss....just to let you know it is possible to spiffy it up....happy strummings.... Ha Ha You couldn't wait to get it home....arn't we all the same way.....to excited and cannot wait...lol

Congratulations! This is definitely on my radar. Very nice!!!

Congratulations. I bought a KoAlana concert in person at HMS (aka The Ukulele Site) after hearing a side-by-side comparison with a KoAloha concert. They're great ukes at a great price. Happy strumming!

Wow, that's a beautiful uke! :shaka:

Very nice! I have an Oahu case too and I think they're outstanding, especially for the money

:iwant: :iwant: :cry:

Congrats - she's a beauty.

I love the sun inlay on the headstock....I am going to drill it out and put a blue sarvoski crystal there so signify only in a blue moon I get a awesome uke as this...hee hee

I like that idea, too. I'm thinking more like a stick on crystal...

http://compare.ebay.com/like/150941915366?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

I'd hate to drill a hole in my new baby.

Meanwhile, I played my standard start up tune (Oh Babe, What Would You Say?) on my old soprano, a Kala 15-S. It sounded OK. What I've been used to.

Then, I set it down and picked up the KoAlana. I strummed the first chord and wow, it's like 3 times louder. I could not believe it. The Kala now sounds like a toy. The KoAlana has such a nice voice. A great blend of strings and wood, sweet as angels voice.

I do like like playing sopranos. Mostly I play concerts, (maybe until now :D ) but the sopranos make me bunch up my big old fingers onto that little fretboard and it just feels tight and right.

Top Bottom