Different ukes

DocDallas

Reaction score
So I've been playing my first uke, a mahalo, for about two or three weeks. While I am nowhere near proficient, I feel like I have outgrown this little guy. I enjoy it immensely, but it sounds...plunky. I restrung the day I got it, which helped a lot. My wife has already signed off on me getting a new quality uke. With a catch. I have to wait. We're really lucky in that I just found out that I got orders to move to Hawaii next September. So, once we get there we will be paying a visit to Hawaii Music Supply. What are the differences between soprano, baritone, tenor, and concert? I know there are size differences, but that's about it.

Congrats on the orders to Hawaii, I'm a new ukulele player as well and Andrew at HMS was great when I saw him last month. Now comes the hard part......the wait.

With increasing sizes comes changes in tone, and in some cases, volume. When you get to Baritone you also, traditionally see a change in the tuning (the first three normally tuned GCEA (re entrant or not) yet Bari is normally tuned DGBE.

That tone change has been described by some as getting more guitar sounding as you go bigger and I can understand that to a degree (though they all still Sound very much uke!)

Bigger sizes can also change the feel in holding them. Some say bigger ukes are easier to play due to more space on neck, but I think jury is out on that and it depends on player. Bigger necks also require bigger stretches for hands. One thing you will get with longer necks is more frets so more versatility in higher notes.

They are all good though, and my favourites are soprano and tenor

Greetings and welcome. At HMS, you will get to play all sizes an see which one feels best for you. Stay in touch. I was never lucky enough to get stationed there. Plane to Thailand gassed up there.

Top Bottom