Audio file to sheet music/TAB

BigSkyUkuleleGirl

Are we there yet......
UU VIP
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a program/app to do this?

I've been trying to learn Jake S's new song "Music Box" and while I can sound out alot of it, it would just be easier if I had some sheet music to go from.

I've looked around for sheet music but I haven't found any....yet. I wonder if he'll put out a songbook for Grand Ukelele?

Hey, sorry but I don't think that there's anything that can do this. I've seen programmes that purport to do something similar but don't really get close. I'm pretty sure some of the expensive music production software (cubase 6, etc.) can turn monophonic (one note at a time) audio into midi which you could then export as a score but I'm not sure that's what you are looking for. Hopefully though I'm wrong and someone around here knows better!

Sibelius 7 said:
Input music from a mic with AudioScore Lite

Developed by Neuratron, AudioScore lets you input music into Sibelius by singing or playing an instrument—then simply hitting a button.

AudioScore Lite is included with Sibelius. An advanced version, AudioScore Ultimate, is also available for purchase. The Professional version lets you create an arrangement with unlimited tracks using your microphone, MIDI keyboard, or mouse; input into Sibelius in real time (Windows only); and can even help you improve your playing skills by displaying the precise tuning of each note you play.
Sounds like a cool feature, but 600 USD for the full version of Sibelius is quite a price...

Thanks for the replies, one thing I thought of last night - I put my clip-on tuner on my iPhone while the song was playing and of course the tempo was too fast but it did pick up the notes.

Perhaps I should look into one of those slow-down programs I have heard about.

Hi BigSkyUkuleleGirl

> I put my clip-on tuner on my iPhone while the song was playing and of course the tempo was too fast but it did pick up the notes.

Yes. Essentially you want that process automated on a computer. As you noted, usually a note's duration is very short and is hard to pick up. The next note may come in so the computer has to distinguish successive notes. Jake is a problem because he can play so fast. In addition, once a harmony comes in (two or three notes), it's a mess.

That's why in short computer software lags behind and the human ears are much better.

If you want to get this, you should get Audacity

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

It is a *free* yet extremely powerful sound/audio editing software. There is a command called "Plot Spectrum" and it shows frequency components of one note. Once you point to a peak, it tells you what note (pitch) it is. The learning curve is a bit steep but it is a powerful software. There are other commercial programs, like TransKribe and Amazing Slow Downer, which may be more user-friendly.

Cheers
Chief

Top Bottom