OK I might as well 'fess up...

Uncle Rod Higuchi

Reaction score
I recently got a new Kala Golden Acacia Concert Travel Uke (sorry no pics - I still don't know how to load pics) :)

I'm currently 'conditioning' the uke with a 'ToneRite' device to get the uke vibrating as a unit ( vs vibrating as separate glued pieces of wood ).

I know there's an ongoing debate as to the effectiveness of such devices in assisting the 'opening up' process for these instruments. There's even an ongoing debate as to whether or not 'opening' even takes place... but those are best left to those who care about such matters.

Anyway, I took said uke to the SUPA song circle for its baptism under fire. All went well.

Yesterday I took it to my uke to a new gig at a Senior Independent living facility that also houses a Memory wing and Assisted living. My new gig is to play for the residents on the Memory wing just before their meal, so 4:30-5p. It was fun and they 'knew' the songs I was playing for them - my favorites anyway - songs of the 30's - 50's.

I'll need to file down one corner of the nut as it is sharply pointed and hurts my hand as I change to various chords. I may also want to change strings from the Aquilas it came with, but they're doing well.

Enjoying it and looking forward to using it this Holiday Season.

keep uke'in' everyone,

Thanks for finally coming clean but uhh, pics....

Anyway - glad to hear your are enjoying it and the new gig went well.

Aloha Ahnko Rod,
Great to hear from you....woo hoo howzit brah...congrats on the new Kala....and da new gig at the nursing home...way to go brah.....yup they gonna really enjoy dat
thank you fo da update....and da nut corners is small kine lidat.....Happy Holidays and Happy Strummings....

There's even an ongoing debate as to whether or not 'opening' even takes place... but those are best left to those who care about such matters.

I swear my Ohana TK35G 'opened up' in the middle of a song one day. It's like the thing came alive and has stayed there. Count me as a believer.

Hats off to you for looking after the old folks.

Congratulations on the Kala! Bigger congratulations for playing at the senior independent living facility memory wing.
Good stuff.

Congrats! Always amazes me how these thinlines "sing"

Uncle Rod, that's great news and it'll be a great big brother (or sister) to your soprano. I saw one of these in Bounty Music last month and had to sequester my wallet in the glove box and give away the keys until the feeling passed, it was so pretty. I hope to see you next month at the Kona Kitchen.

Congratulations on your new uke. I have one, too, and I find that it's a little more muted than the spruce top version of the same uke, but it's got a nice voice and that golden acacia sure looks pretty. It sounds like you're enjoying yours. Happy strumming!

Top Bottom