I Like the Acurite Weather Station to monitor humidity

Tailgate

Reaction score
For $42 at Walmart, here's an AcuRite Weather Station that has all the bells and whistles including indoor and outdoor humidity. Put in a couple of batteries and punch a couple of buttons and it's set up. Good value for the money. I actually only paid $34 for the unit at the store.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Acurite-Wireless-Weather-Station/16888928

My indoor humidity (Texas) has been registering between 44% and 50%.. I was surprised how it changes over the course of the day.

Bob

I have seven--yes, you read that right, seven--Accurite $10 digital monitors all bought from Amazon within the last year, and they are all over the chart for readings. I put all seven on my kitchen table, came back next day, and the readings ranged from 27 to 42! Right next to one another. Not one or two off, they were all over the map.

What'd I do? I literally took out a calculator, found the average, and put stickers on each as to how far off they were 2 plus, 5 plus, two minus, etc. now I figure the fudge factor for each by looking at the stickers.

Humidity gauges are notoriously incorrect, regardless of type, even with the salt water calibration method. And these digital ones cannot be calibrated manually...at least mine can't .

I have the small Acurite (current temp w/ high & low; current humidity w/ high & low). I have it sitting right next to my expensive Oregon Scientific hygrometer, thermometer, barometric gauge. That are always within 2% on humidity (often exactly the same) and 1 degree of temperature. The Oregon Scientific shows temp to 0.1 degree while the Acurite rounds to the nearest degree, so that may account for some of the difference.

Overall, I trust it.

I have the small Acurite (current temp w/ high & low; current humidity w/ high & low). I have it sitting right next to my expensive Oregon Scientific hygrometer, thermometer, barometric gauge. That are always within 2% on humidity (often exactly the same) and 1 degree of temperature. The Oregon Scientific shows temp to 0.1 degree while the Acurite rounds to the nearest degree, so that may account for some of the difference.

Overall, I trust it.
I have a cheapie Acurite I bought off Amazon. When I've had it in the living room where we have a Honeywell digital thermostat it's always within one degree temp wise.

Honestly don't know how accurate the humidity is, but at least it gives me relative readings. And it's interesting to see the variation over 24 hours.

if I blow on it, the moisture from my breath will show a temporary rise, same if I boil a pot of spaghetti.

Most people don't prepare Italian style pasta dishes in their living room. Crazy Californians.

Top Bottom