Kumalae KC10 concert Ukulele with gig bag and a nice surprise item!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ukegirl

Reaction score
Kumalae KC10 concert Ukulele with gig bag-NO LONGER FOR SALE>>GONE!!!

Here we have a pretty hard to find here on the mainland Kumalea concert KC10 Uke. These are laminated bodies, but a very light build and it is loud and clear! NIce rosette around the soundhole.Also comes with the coolest gig bag around with the Kumalea shield embrordered on the bag. This is new in the bag and will ship to the lower 48 for $115...be the first kid on the block with the greatest reintroduced name in Ukulele! I'll also throw a cool freebie in the box for you...something nice I promise!

NO LONGER FOR SALE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• kumalea 001.jpg
    kumalea 001.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 78
  • kumalea 002.jpg
    kumalea 002.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 75
  • kumalea 003.jpg
    kumalea 003.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 85
  • kumalea 004.jpg
    kumalea 004.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 68
  • kumalea 006.jpg
    kumalea 006.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Hi all, sorry, but these new kumalae are upsetting me, I collect original kumalae ukuleles and they were classic style, made in hawaii in solid Koa.
I cant understand how putting a respected name on a laminated mainland shape ukulele is in any way respecting the original maker?

Its the same as sticking a 'martin' sticker on a plywood guitar....

They maybe well made and sound nice, so why not put your own branding on them instead of the Kumalae name?

Its also very confusing for new ukulele players that want a genuine Kumalae, as these are advertised as Kumalae ukuleles....

Totally inappropriate to make a post of this kind when someone is trying to sell a Uke.

A price would be handy ukegirl btw.

Yep! I couldnt agree more. I think at the very least apologies are in order. She does have a price tho.
Totally inappropriate to make a post of this kind when someone is trying to sell a Uke.

A price would be handy ukegirl btw.

I think the opposite message is fine, not everyone knows the difference between original and current brand name of Kumalae. At least not every UUer understands how to identify it thought. If I just did a Google search and this post comes up, I might be 'OMG let me buy it and get it like a new-vintage uke'.

I looked back through her posts and ukegirl is a dealer (at least part-time). So I think it's quite proper to criticise her merchandise.

I'm with Feltrums. This is a standard chinese uke, and the branding is highly deceptive. I particularly dislike the use of the PPE 1915 logo - these ukes have no connection of any kind with those which won the medal. I'd even go so far as to say that selling these ukes without a clear disclaimer of origin violates the US Fair Trading Act (though I'm sure the volume of sales is too small for the Federal Trade Commission to be interested).

I'd be fractionally less unhappy, I suppose, if the Canadian importers had bothered to copy the headstock shape properly, use a Kumalae body shape and set the frets direct in the neck. Plus soprano sizes only, of course. At least they could argue some kind of homage to the original. But this is just a Mahalo/Rogue/Whatever with two scoops out of the headstock. Nasty!

Not that anyone asked for my two coppers, but part of the reason people feel comfortable buying off of the ukulele forum here is because they count on knowledgeable individuals who frequent the boards to chime in with pertinent information about what's being sold if it's not stated in the original post.

I just googled Kumalae and the first one is the company that makes these. Shouldn't you be going after the producer of these ukes and not the OP that's just listing one for sale? I don't think I read anywhere in her original post that she is describing it as a vintage original one.

I don't know how ukegirl could have been any clearer in her description. How else should she have listed it? It is, after all, a Kumalae she is selling. She states that it is mainland made, laminated, new, etc. I don't think vintage Kumalae collectors will be confused. Feltrums is upset about a manufacturing practice that is somewhat common these days. The Washburn ukuleles made these days are not made by Lyon & Healy either. Should these be listed as "fake Washburns?" I'm not sure where Oscar Schmidts are made, Regals. I know the latter went out of business a long time ago. These manufacturers are capitalizing on an established name; who knows, they may have even paid to use the name. It is apparent they are not particularly interested in honoring the original. Apart from this, the new ukuleles with old names don't resemble the old ones, as has been stated.

Some people pay serious money for new items that have no lineage to their honored name:

bugatti-veyron-fbg-par-hermes1.jpg

At least ukegirl doesn't want a million bucks for her fake. :rolleyes:

Maybe I should have been clearer - ukegirl is engaging in honest marketing. The problem is that the product itself is fundamentally dishonest.

Of course it won't fool anyone who has seen a real Kumalae - that's not the point of the marketing. The aim is to fool those who only know that Kumalae made ukes that were so good in their time that they won prizes. That's only about 90% of the potential buyers.

There's no point me trying to sell you a "Stradivarius" violin because it wouldn't fool enough buyers, but my $150 "Guarneri" violins will be available as soon as I've had the decals printed.

Hi there...wow!!! First, I'm not a dealer...I just enjoy buying, collecting and trading Ukes...maybe because of my position in life I'm a little more able to buy and trade than some, but I know I'm not alone in my love of this "sport". I suppose if I were a guy I would relate it trading baseball cards or fantacy football etc..but for me it's ukes....I can't imagine that there was anything in my ad that was deceptive...it's a re-issue brand that are decently made ...about like a Kala or Lanikai, althought this kinda reminds me of an Anue Nue in the way it looks and is built....if it were anything more than that It would not be $115 bucks..As I give away a lot of Ukes to my customers, I'll just put this in the x-mas bag for a client rather than upsetting the apple cart that I enjoy so much...consider the listing closed, and sorry for the confusion!

Last edited:
And I'm sure that putting x-mas instead of Christmas is going to get me in hot water as well! So I mean Christmas bag..OK??:D

I think you should still sell it. You haven't done anything wrong ukegirl. They should have just left your thread alone and kept their comments to themselves.

And I'm sure that putting x-mas instead of Christmas is going to get me in hot water as well! So I mean Christmas bag..OK??:D

Actually, not to really knowledgeable Christians. The "x" in x-mas comes from the Greek letter chi - the first letter in "Christ" in Greek - it was often used to mark underground meeting places when Christians were being persecuted in the first few centuries AD. To this day it is often used by seminary students when taking notes, etc. It was only later that it was further stylized into the "fish" symbol where the derivation from the chi remains obvious.

It was only in the late 19th century or so that less well-informed believers began to object to the symbol on seasonal cards and so on, not recognizing its significance.

John

No no. In my view, no one was accusing ukegirl of willful duplicity, nor was anyone suggesting she was asking an unfair price. But from the perspective of a purchaser, the more information a thread contains about a uke that's being offered (and that includes the broader history of the brand) the better. It just helps us make more informed decisions.

Ukegirl, i hope you reconsider leaving this post up. In this pre-Christmas season, i'm sure a lot of people will have their peepers peeled for ukes in this price range. My apologies if i offended in any way, and i wish you good luck with the sale (or with the gifting, if that's the route you decide to take). :)

I'd be more upset if I'd purchased one of the new Mexican Martins, which are actually "real" Martins. Uke girl is offering a great deal
on a nice looking entry level/office/travel uke for only $115. With gig bag! Shipped! Give her a break. Have a great X-giving.

Last edited:
Guys this is the marketplace and not for inappropiate comments while the seller was trying to sell her uke....imagine this was me, I would be furious....or you
If you have any further comments or opinions on impropriety of origin in building and name, please refrain from making them here.. thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom