Cliff Edwards' last recordings???

drbekken

Reaction score
http://www.amazon.com/Ukulele-Ike-C...3&keywords=cliff+edwards+ukulele+ike+glendale

I am willing to buy a copy of this record, or a home made cassette tape copy, or a digitalized CD version, if anybody knows how to find it.
I tried amazon and eBay so far, to no avail.
Apparently these were Edwards' last recordings, released posthumously in the 1970s, on the obscure 'Glendale' label. Record number is GL-6011.
Hope someone in the ukulele community has some info on this!

Wish I could help out on this particular album, Doc. He recorded some of his numbers on more than one occasion. A lot of the songs on that album are also here (Audiophile & the Jazzology labels are New Orleans treasures):

http://www.jazzology.com/item_detail.php?id=ACD-17

Don't know if the Amazon recordings came from the same session as the Jazzology or not - the Jazzology recordings were 1940s. You probably have them, but like all Audiophile recordings the sound is incredible for that era and Cliff is either solo or with just a stand-up bass. For ukulele players, these are the best recordings.

Also check out our own TCK and his podcast series. He did a great hour of the better known Ike recordings - he might have something more.

Wish I could help out on this particular album, Doc. He recorded some of his numbers on more than one occasion. A lot of the songs on that album are also here (Audiophile & the Jazzology labels are New Orleans treasures):

http://www.jazzology.com/item_detail.php?id=ACD-17

Don't know if the Amazon recordings came from the same session as the Jazzology or not - the Jazzology recordings were 1940s. You probably have them, but like all Audiophile recordings the sound is incredible for that era and Cliff is either solo or with just a stand-up bass. For ukulele players, these are the best recordings.

Also check out our own TCK and his podcast series. He did a great hour of the better known Ike recordings - he might have something more.

Thanks, Dirk. Yes, I have the ones from the forties. They are magnificent. The ones on this obscure LP may be from a later stage. I read that they are not very good, but I'd still like to hear them. Anything the man recorded is interesting to me. I'll check with TCK too.

He guys, Dave's podcast was from the Audiophile release I'm afraid, and which you already own Doc. I agree, the audio quality is unsurpassed. I have several rarer Ike CDs and vinyl records.....I'll PM you. I know a fella who transfers old vinyl to CD. If all else fails and you can't track anything down, I could always do that for you...

He guys, Dave's podcast was from the Audiophile release I'm afraid, and which you already own Doc. I agree, the audio quality is unsurpassed. I have several rarer Ike CDs and vinyl records.....I'll PM you. I know a fella who transfers old vinyl to CD. If all else fails and you can't track anything down, I could always do that for you...

I'll keep my fingers crossed. Maybe I should post a request on Beloff's Flea Market Music, too...?

I'll keep my fingers crossed. Maybe I should post a request on Beloff's Flea Market Music, too...?
sure, worth a try, I'm always amazed at what stuff people have and are willing to sell if you ask.This is what I got...

on CD
1. Singing In The Rain (The Audiophile release)
2. Singin' In The Rain (another compo of old mono recordings on 'Living Era' label, stuff from 22-42)
3. "Vintage Recordings" (on Take Two label. This one's still widely available. stuff from 22-36 mainly)
4. I Did It With My Little Ukulele - (has a bunch of rarer stuff, poorer audio quality though)
5. Bear In A Ladies Boudoir - (from the original vinyl release. very good and good quality audio. tracklist here

on vinyl
1. Shakin The Blues Away
2. What's Forever For
3. Ukulele Ike - I think this is actually the one you're looking for doc?

all in very good condition and play well without scratches. I think I could probably get a decent transfer to CD for you if you can't find it elsewhere. The "Ukulele Ike" record was officially his last and was released posthumously. The audio quality is not as high as on some others and yes, the signs of his age and deteriorating health are discernible.

Tracklist of the that recording...
* Soft Lights, Sweet Music
* It Had To Be You
* For Me And My Gal
* Louise
* Jealous
* Singing In The Rain
* A Pretty Girl Is Like A Melody
* My Melancholy baby
* Paddlin Madelin Home
* June Night
* Please Don't Talk About Me When I'm Gone
* Fascinatin Rhythm

doc, if you want copies of any of this stuff let me know mate.

Top Bottom