Building Solid body Electric ukes

SinisterDom

Reaction score
So, for those here who are building solidbody ukes (Pete, for one I know). What type of neck is best? Bolt-on? Set? Or neck through design? What are the processes to making each of the different ones? Any tips?

Can't see the point of the bolt on - this was designed specifically for mass production by unskilled labour and has all the blah de blah that goes with lifetime warranty etc. I use a simple mortice/pocket joint. I have a pile of acoustic ukes to build at the moment and have put the Firefly on hold til January. I have been documenting the build but want to release it as a single 10 minute movie with overdub voice and music - a little different from my regular vids. You will see the pocket joint being cut...

If its four string you don't even need to pocket it. Just extend the fretboard a little bit and add a heel. Really I mean it the wood will give way long before the joint will and it will be easy to build and repair if needed later on.

Unless I have a shoulder to work to I don't get the clean lines my work is reknowned for. When you see the build you will see how easy it is to achieve the complete build with 5 routing jigs, a decent rasp and some sandpaper. The expense in these projects is in the top woods, finish and electrics.

Pete I have been using double sided sand paper held against the neck joint and the body to make a good contact it seems to work well.

I was just suggesting it for the first time builder. The pocket is a better solution but it requires a bit more tool specialization .

It depends what you want the experience to be doesn't it? Building an electric is quite satisfying because there is not a lot that can go wrong, you can purchase premade parts, your local joiners/cabinet shop would help you out and best of all, you can get by with a rasp,file, bock plane and sandpaper near enough!

I'm not into electronics. My ukes come with active or passive pickups, I think you should then 'model' your sound using a battery powered belt clip rpe-amp and have an effects board or some othere such sound architecture enhancing gizmo...

yep - I never got around to Part 2. Anyway - wasn't that look over the luthier's shoulder enough? If you are struggling to work out the rest then you need to do lots more research. start with Melvin Hyscox book on building an electric guitar - it's the same principle for an electric ukulele only smaller. Besides, my process is all machine based - machines that you can build and don't cost a lot but still machines!

yep - I never got around to Part 2. Anyway - wasn't that look over the luthier's shoulder enough? If you are struggling to work out the rest then you need to do lots more research. start with Melvin Hyscox book on building an electric guitar - it's the same principle for an electric ukulele only smaller. Besides, my process is all machine based - machines that you can build and don't cost a lot but still machines!

I saw an interesting vintage book today that had explainations and scematics for building luthier machines and tools like belt sanders etc.

Do you hollow out your bodies just to make way for eletrics or for other reasons? I am assuming you use an undersaddle pickup?

Top Bottom