Right arm rub

MiaRosie

Reaction score
I've found that sometimes (quite often) although I am not actually 'moving' my right arm much, with that coming more from the wrist, I am getting some rub on the underside of my forearm where it is catching / rubbing against the bridge. :eek:

Is this something that most experience when starting out, or is it showing that I am holding the Uke incorrectly ? Obviously I want to get that right straight away.

At one point I actually had a few 'graze' marks on my arm.

I'm wondering if I am

a) not arching my wrist enough
b) holding my arm too flat
c) have mega fat arms !
d) holding in entirely the wrong position

I can't really loosen the grip I have or I'll drop the thing lol. :confused:

While on this topic, I often get totally numb fingertips (mainly pointer) which lasts for days - am I pressing too hard against the strings.

Thankyou ! :cool:

Sore fingers

Are you using a concert or tenor uk. I have both and the concert is considerably easier to play as the tension is slacker than on a tenor. However I love the sound of the tenor. I live in Wales as well.

Hiyas Pryce

Sorry I should have said - I am using a soprano - a very cheap 'lazy' uke that I bought in a local shop. Strings feel like nylon - perhaps I should switch those ?

It is holding it's tuning very well, which surprised me, if anything it tends to go a bit sharp when left.

I'm over near Brighton - not in the town, further inland but close enough to get down to the sea when I need a 'water hit'

Thanks for replying. :)

When I play my Pono Soprano I notice my arm rubbing/hitting the bridge but when I play my Kala Soprano I don't notice it on my Tenors or on my Flea.

It might just be a size thing, I know my Pono is smaller than my Kala.

Pretty soon you will relax your grip with your arm. My friend wears a sweat band around her forearm. Also, for women with a soprano sometimes it's easier if you put the uke on top of your breasts. For some it's easier to play up there than below.

Top Bottom