FS: David Newton Primitive Mahogany Soprano

d-mace

Reaction score
I was going to post this earlier this week but noticed that Doc had just listed his....fortunately it sold quickly!

This is another mahogany primitive style uke build in Austin, TX by David Newton. As Doc said, this also may be the lightest ukulele I've ever held.

Fit and finish are very nice....David says he builds these "primitive style" with lots of hand tools. This one has similar tone to Doc's sample and Neal's video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_QrfqjhMcc&feature=relmfu

Lot's of bark and immediate punch and full sounding. Compared to my Koaloha soprano; the Newton is lighter, louder and has a lot more bark. Currently strung with South Coast soft mediums.

No case, but will include the hand sewn cloth bag it came in and will be boxed very well. The french polish finish is lovely but thin. There are some strum marks and the most visible marks are behind the bridge where the string knots gouged the wood a bit during changes (see pic).

Probably my favorite feature is how the neck meets the body. This brings the string height closer to the body and makes it really fun to strum (and I'm not a strummer) since there is no fretboard getting in the way.

Let me know if you want a sound sample and I'll email you one off my iPhone.

$299 shipped in continental US.

Attachments

• IMG_3439.jpg
    IMG_3439.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_3432.jpg
    IMG_3432.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_3431.jpg
    IMG_3431.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_3429.jpg
    IMG_3429.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
More pics.....

Attachments

• IMG_3433.jpg
    IMG_3433.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_3434.jpg
    IMG_3434.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_3435.jpg
    IMG_3435.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 38
I just bought one of these from Doc and it is a great ukulele, especially at this price. Surprisingly light, loud and resonant.

Mitch

I just bought one of these from Doc and it is a great ukulele, especially at this price. Surprisingly light, loud and resonant.

Mitch

Hey Mitch....you received that quickly! You've nailed the description of these Newton's. Mine has the Gotoh tuners but I bet yours with the violin pegs is even lighter.

Any sound clips of either of these?

Bump with a price drop....$299 shipped for a made in the USA soprano! If you're looking for a lightweight uke that is a blast to strum that has a tremendous amount of personality and bark then this is for you. I think they are a fantastic value for $450-500 new.

Top Bottom