Hostess Song

I was fond of the Snowballs and the Dolly Madison Raspberry Zingers. Also occasionally a fruit pie. Dietary sins I occasionally consumed.

Some company(s) will buy the the more popular brands and recipes. So in the near future we'll see something like Little Debbie Twinkies.

What a lot of people don't realize is that many or the breads and other pastry snacks sold by chain stores was baked by Hostess. Walmart Bread buyers are probably shttn and gettin right now.

Overall, I'd normally rather have an apple than anything Hostess made.

BTW, that's a great song.

No more deep fried Twinkies! What will the KISS Coffee shops be without deep fried Twinkies? :wallbash:

Great song and vid.........odd that they are going bankrupt....I heard that they sold 6 million dollars worth of twinkies alone last year.

Great little ditty, Gary!

Great song and vid.........odd that they are going bankrupt....I heard that they sold 6 million dollars worth of twinkies alone last year.

More of a Wonder (pun intended) that they lasted as long as they did. The grocery biz is, for the most part, a very low margin business and in their case they didn't keep up with the times and modernize their bakeries in the good years. They ended up competing with companies that were using a lot more automated equipment and therefore had far lower labor costs per production unit. (I saw one report that listed the average hourly salary of a Hostess brands dough mixer at $17/hr - that's basically an unskilled job that's been eliminated or scaled way back at more modern bakeries.)

If they'd rolled more of the profit back into infrastructure starting thirty or forty years ago they wouldn't have been so at the mercy of a single union to take them down. (Even the other unions were outraged at the bakers and whatnots union.)

One of their executives put it pretty well when asked about whether they expected competitors to pick up the equipment and restart production, putting most of the former employees back to work. "We might be able to sell some of the brands, but we've been looking for buyers for years and nobody wants these old plants or the people that operate them."

John

I just read an article where Hostess and the union are still trying to work it out. The song could be irrelevant in less than a week! ;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom