FREE VIDEO CONFERENCE FOR JAMS (12 ukers at once)- Works better than UU Mini Jams

blue_knight_usa

Reaction score
http://social.oovoo.com/call/blue_knight_usa/370/0

My Oovoo ID is blue_knight_usa

Hi all, above is my Oovoo status. This is free. Unlike UU Mini-Jams, everything runs on your computer and does not rely on Flash or Java. Someone will need to be a host, or a few people can host and people can join various folks.

You can have up to 12 people in a video conference at once! If you want to try this with me, sign up and install it on your system. Then just post a reply to this with your oovoo ID so I can find you and add you to my call list. Everyone else can do the same. Then if people are online and want to jam, you can call anyone who is online and start a jam and post a note as to who is hosting and people can join. It's easier that it sounds

This means someone who starts the conference needs to be the host during the conference, so you are the room for all intensive purposes.
I have a very high speed 35mb down and 8 up connection at my house and could easily host a group of folks.

If anyone is interested, let me know and we can test it out. I used this with 6 of my staff and everyone was remote and it worked great. No lag (we were all on good connections) and video can go up to HD if your camera allows it and audio is great. You can also pause your video so if you want to stay connected but turn off your camera because you have to pick your nose, and not pick your uke, you can do that too.

Let me know what you think. I tried using the UU mini jam and it was very poor quality, laggy, and it is web dependant for everything. Everyone was just starring at the screen...not much jamming at all since no one could really do anything real time without horrible lag.

Give this a try and I will be online to host tomorrow night at 9pm PST Sunday for the first test. You can even call someone with Oovoo via you browser but I would recommend installing the software so you can get all the features and start building your jamming list. I hope some of you catch up with me to test this out. Unfortunately if the host shuts down, everyone gets disconnected but it's much more stable and much more reliable. You won't believe how good the quality is. Hope to see ya'll (at least 11) tomorrow evening. Remember 12 max on a call so the first 11 get in to the jam session.

Last edited:
I would be interested on how well this works. Usually, there is a bit of delay for video conferences, which may cause problems with synchronizing. A simple Skype call can have a full second delay, and that would be a problem. I tried Face Time on 2 iPads in the same apartment the other day, and got a one second delay on our wi-fi.

–Lori

Hi Lori, I run an IT consulting firm and have done a lot of video conferencing. Ooovo is a bit different in how they handle their video but the best bet is to be non-wireless if at all possible. I have a switch at home which I plug directly into and although I do have wireless I don't video conference through it, although I have and skype worked perfect (still does). A lot depends on your connection and if you are going through a wireless connection.
One second is 1000ms which is an unacceptable delay for anyone trying to do business with video conferencing. Usually 100-200ms is tolerable without a noticeable delay.

Uu mini jams last night was probably 2-3 seconds delay which is just unuseable. The nice thing about Oovoo is you don't have to pay for up to 12 folks, where Skype you have to pay to get more than 1. Google Circles is also not that great. If you are on tonight about 9am PST give me a holler on it. I was just getting out my uke leash to put on one of my ukes. Have not used it in a while but am going to start using it again ;-)

The best setup for this is a computer with a video camera (I recommend the Logitech HD which is what I use), and the Ipad does not have the bandwidth of a network card on a computer or MAC. The wireless is much slower for sure but I have never tried it with somone on an IPAD which you can download it here: http://www.oovoo.com/mobile.aspx?pname=MobileDevices

Hi Lori, I run an IT consulting firm and have done a lot of video conferencing. Ooovo is a bit different in how they handle their video but the best bet is to be non-wireless if at all possible. I have a switch at home which I plug directly into and although I do have wireless I don't video conference through it, although I have and skype worked perfect (still does). A lot depends on your connection and if you are going through a wireless connection.
One second is 1000ms which is an unacceptable delay for anyone trying to do business with video conferencing. Usually 100-200ms is tolerable without a noticeable delay.

Uu mini jams last night was probably 2-3 seconds delay which is just unuseable. The nice thing about Oovoo is you don't have to pay for up to 12 folks, where Skype you have to pay to get more than 1. Google Circles is also not that great. If you are on tonight about 9am PST give me a holler on it. I was just getting out my uke leash to put on one of my ukes. Have not used it in a while but am going to start using it again ;-)

The best setup for this is a computer with a video camera (I recommend the Logitech HD which is what I use), and the Ipad does not have the bandwidth of a network card on a computer or MAC. The wireless is much slower for sure but I have never tried it with somone on an IPAD which you can download it here: http://www.oovoo.com/mobile.aspx?pname=MobileDevices

Hi Jay

Thanks for the info. I have a wired internet access, but would have to hook up a camera to my old MacPro Tower. It was just repaired, and got a new logic board and video card. I figured even though it was about to be considered "vintage" by Apple (5 years old), it would be cheaper to fix than buy something new right now. I am actually filling Uke Leash orders tonight so they can go out tomorrow morning. If I get some time, I will set up a camera and test out the Ooovo system.

My brother has his phone service through Skype, and the delay is intolerable. I am not crazy about talking on the phone, but if it is not a land line, it is pretty much torture. The new tech has aways to go to match up to the old school solution. Maybe this Ooovo is a step toward that. Here's hoping.

–Lori

Not sure who the PoHos are (but I'd be glad to notify them) but I'd like to see if I can get a group going and see how it works. I have used it successfully for video conferences with multiple people but never people playing music and singing. I think it will work if everyone has a good high speed Internet connection.

Top Bottom