"In My Little Snapshot Album" - Live in Blackpool.

Barry Barmcake

Reaction score
Right, so I'm there at the George Formby Society Convention, and you can imagine, there's loads of fans of the great man, and they're all expecting quality entertainment - some exceptional musicians get up on stage and perform in front of more than 400 people...

And then I walk on and do this! :D

The thing I LOVE is... well, I do 'daft stuff' deliberately, but I think the majority of folk there weren't aware of that... so for the first half of the video, the reaction's pretty interesting... and then I reckon they see what's going on and I'm not some poor struggling musician who's toiling, but a daft sod!

Have a look and see what you reckon.

:D

Thanks for sharing. I wish I could understand "Wiganese" as well as you speak it!

During the first part of your performance, George was probably rolling-over in his grave, however, by the end, he was probably smiling and laughing with everyone in the audience! Life without a BanjoUke, along with humor, would Bb!

Thanks for sharing. I wish I could understand "Wiganese" as well as you speak it!

During the first part of your performance, George was probably rolling-over in his grave, however, by the end, he was probably smiling and laughing with everyone in the audience! Life without a BanjoUke, along with humor, would Bb!

Now that's a very kind thing to say Tom - much appreciated!

For people who know me, they know I can play 'proper' but usually do 'daft'... so they know what to expect.

Anyone who's never seen me... well...

It went down really well, I've had nothing but great and positive comments... main thing is, I spoof myself, and not George... so I do that with all my tunes - I wouldn't want to do a George parody... although briefly I did do that, including prosthetic teeth, suit, hair slicked back - but then I thought it was disrespectful to a very talented and unique individual, and I wouldn't want anyone to feel I was making fun.

As to the Wiganese... I'll translate the joke.

Man walks into the vets.

"I've come about my cat" says he, "he's not been well"

"I see" says the vet "is it a Tom?"

"No" says the man... "I brought it with me".

So it's a play on "a Tom" (a Tomcat) and "At 'om" (at home).

:D

Great video and a top performance Barry, the applause at the end tells it all, they loved you.

Thanks muchly. :) I've had great feedback from people who saw it, and it's very complimentary... to be honest, I much prefer doing 'silly' stuff like this... even though I practice and practice to do it properly first in order to do it 'wrong' so to speak. :D

I enjoyed that and it was clear the audience did too once they got you.

Thanks muchly. :) I've had great feedback from people who saw it, and it's very complimentary... to be honest, I much prefer doing 'silly' stuff like this... even though I practice and practice to do it properly first in order to do it 'wrong' so to speak. :D

Yes, to do "wrong" well you have to be able to do it right. The master of that was the late Les Dawson whose piano playing was a fine example of that. You also need to have a way with words.

I could never pull it off. So well done and keep up the good work.

The Wiganese didn't faze me even though I am from t'other side.

I enjoyed that and it was clear the audience did too once they got you.

Yes, to do "wrong" well you have to be able to do it right. The master of that was the late Les Dawson whose piano playing was a fine example of that. You also need to have a way with words.

I could never pull it off. So well done and keep up the good work.

The Wiganese didn't faze me even though I am from t'other side.[/QUOTE

Cheers for that. Yep, Les was amazing. Great comic with some wonderful one liners. :)

As for t'other side - you're not speaking from beyond the grave are ye? : D

You never fail to entertain. Thanks.

Top Bottom