Electric steel string semi-hollowbody

rickmorgan2003

Reaction score
I an prototyping a new electric uke. Double cutaway archtop semi-hollow body reminiscent of a 336 guitar. Walnut body and neck, figured maple top. Neck will be tenon style set back 2.5deg with radiused persimmon or sycamore fingerboard. I hand wind the custom humbuckers. Wired up with a 3 way selector and a master volume and tone control. I will dye the tops in a burst design with nitro lacquer finish. I haven't decided on the bridge. I would like to go with a tune o matic style and floating tail piece.

Attachments

• IMAG0266.jpg
    IMAG0266.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 116
  • IMAG0265.jpg
    IMAG0265.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 102
  • IMAG0264.jpg
    IMAG0264.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 117
  • IMAG0255.jpg
    IMAG0255.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 123
This instrument is looking great. Should be a lot of fun to play. For fun I pulled our cad file up to see what about differences and looks to me that you are right on.

Blessings,

Kevin

335 and 336

Attachments

• GS 336 335 Top Plate.jpg
    GS 336 335 Top Plate.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 55
When designing my solid bodies, I was told that having the neck pocket transition in to the pickup cavity was structurally unsound and that the neck will rotate an/or twist because of the lack of support. Any thoughts on that idea? I haven't had any first hand experience with it. Here is a shot of mine.

Attachments

• DSCN1971.jpg
    DSCN1971.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 50
Rick,

That looks very nice. I must confess that I have been planning a neck-through semihollow uke ever since I received my Kamoa Evolve.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Kamoa, and it is now my most played instrument, but being a very picky player, there are several things that I would change... so it has inspired me to put aside my acoustic build and start on something different.

Keep us posted on your progress. What are you using for a bridge?

That looks nice. You will notice on mine that the center block runs from the front back to the bridge area. From that I take out just enough for the pickups and neck tenon. That's the way gibson make it's es 335 and 336 and they haven't had structural problems. I am assuming it will work with a uke size. 45871 Woodland Rd
When designing my solid bodies, I was told that having the neck pocket transition in to the pickup cavity was structurally unsound and that the neck will rotate an/or twist because of the lack of support. Any thoughts on that idea? I haven't had any first hand experience with it. Here is a shot of mine.

Ah man- they totally stole my idea, even the bridge solution! Oh well. I looked into them as much as possible but they don't list it on their website. I know a few things will be different, first: completely hand made. I also hand wind the pickups for perfect tone. It looks like they are using a blade pickup design which I don't care for. Mine have individual pole pieces set for uke spacing. They do look nice though. The wood I use will be like their higher end model, figured maple.

Last edited:
That looks nice. You will notice on mine that the center block runs from the front back to the bridge area. From that I take out just enough for the pickups and neck tenon. That's the way gibson make it's es 335 and 336 and they haven't had structural problems. I am assuming it will work with a uke size. 45871 Woodland Rd

I removed the center block in the pickup area because I like to install the pickup form the inside so there isn't any pickup ring. It gives it a cleaner look on the top.

Have you tried any stock ukulele pickups?
You mention that you are handwinding pickups. I'd like to hear more details if possible.

I had Almuse make some up in the past but I have wound pickups for guitars for a while now and the people playing my rigs wouldn't trade them in for anything else. It is also cheaper for me to do them then shell out a couple hundred bucks.

Complete- sort of. the first prototype met an early demise. 2nd one went really well.

Attachments

• 20130331_224219.jpg
    20130331_224219.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 20130331_224208.jpg
    20130331_224208.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 20130331_224119.jpg
    20130331_224119.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 15
Top Bottom