Jake S. Concert with Pics!

1937Scott

Reaction score
Ok.

I went to Jake last night in Reno on the Grand Ukulele Tour. What a great show! I stayed after and got his autograph and asked a couple of questions:

1) What kind of strings do you use?

D-Addario

2) Do you bring a 'spare' Uke on tour?

"No. It makes Team Jake nervous, too."

What a Gentleman. Here's a few pics from the second row:

photo 1.jpg

photo 2.jpg

photo 3.jpg

No spare? Wow!

I watched an interview with him that he only plays one ukulele, his Kamaka 'JS' model tenor. He says that even another Kamaka just like the one he plays would play differently, or sound differently, so he won't do that. He does sample other ukes from time to time, I've seen that too. So I thought he would at least carry a spare on a National Tour.

Nope. Pretty gutsy. He is using a 'uke strap' that has what looks like an engraved 'JS' silver attachment at the bottom of the sound hole, and it appears to provide some form of protection from his strumming...

But, I suppose Willie Nelson is no different. He's 79 years old and has been playing the VERY same Martin Guitar since the late 1960's. Google some pics of it (He named it 'Trigger'), the top/soundboard is worn through from strumming without a pick guard. I saw him in concert earlier this year, he still plays amazingly well. And the guitar sounds fine for having a gaping hole in the top!

Top Bottom