Just bought a hard case - is it too snug?

ruby_tuesday

Reaction score
Good evening everyone :)

I've just bought a hard case for my Lanikai LU-11. Its great, and seems really hard-wearing, but I'm not sure if its that bit too snug?

The body of the uke fits quite well and securely. However it does require some pressure to actually close the case, and there are slight indentations from the strings on the foam above the fretboard, after I open it.

Is this to be expected with a hard case, or is it too small?

Any help greatly appreciated, thankyou!

Couple of mine do that - no biggie - assuming when you say 'some' pressure you don't mean you need to sit on it!

Hehe no, just a firm push with my hands, then doing up the clips. Just don't want to be messing up the strings, or indeed the uke, so the indentations made me worry a bit!

If there's a problem, it will be from pushing harder than necessary rather than from the case being snug.

If there's a problem, it will be from pushing harder than necessary rather than from the case being snug.

Ah It's not that much pressure to close it, just enough to get the case closed enough to fasten the clips. Can easily do it with one hand :) So think its rather just the squishy foam being snug around the uke

I had a hard case and had to cut the height of the neck holding block down a little. It was a bit too high and it made the case a little hard to close. It was a little too tight against the uke. It was a cheaper import hard case

I had the same thing on a name brand tweed case. The neck block came off with two screws and I trimmed the back side and wrapped the velvet back around the fresh cut and screwed it back in place. Works fine now.

Similar to action, it was probably a conscious decision on the manufacturer's part thinking it could easily be cut down, but not nearly as easy to add back missing material.

Honestly, the LU-11 is such a rugged little uke I'd say you'd be hard pressed (pun intended) to find a case snug enough to damage it. :)

John

Actually in my experiance, I prefer them that way. Most of the damage from guitars, and/or ukes comes from the collision inside the case. I think a good fitting case SHOULD fit snug to keep the instrument secure and shouldn't move around in it at all. Unless it is so snug that it flexes the soundboard, it's ok to put some pressure on the strings. If it's snug, it won't bang around inside the case which I have found causes more damage to the instrument even of the case has no damage on it..

Top Bottom