PDA

View Full Version : Newbie with questions..

Liamfsus7
11-19-2012, 08:20 AM
Hello there!

Ive been playing for about two months and Ive got a question.

I bought a cheap Mahalo firstly and hated it. It was okay to practice on but horrible to listen to - so I just bought a "Puretone Kahana"? for 50, which is much much better.

Im learning plenty of songs from youtube and tab sites but Im getting kindof frustrated with strumming the same chords for every song - people can never tell what song Im playing until I sing along.

Is this just my song choices? Or do these sites dumb songs down to make them easier?

I want to fingerpick riffs and play real detail but just cannot find anywhere to help D;

So, can anyone point me in the direction of real in depth tutorials?
Thanks

ukeeku
11-19-2012, 08:31 AM
I found a great place to learn HERE (http://ukuleleunderground.com/video-library/)
If the chords are the same (I assume a lot of G C Am F, or same thing different key) then you are more than likely playing pop songs. Nothing wrong with that.
Strumming, that can take time. A lot of beginner players tend to do an up down with little variation.
About dumbing down songs. A lot of songs are pretty easy chord wise. A lot of times the song is in a different key to make it easier to play.

ukeeku
11-19-2012, 08:31 AM
I forgot, WELCOME TO UU!

Liamfsus7
11-19-2012, 08:55 AM
Great! Thankyou :)

Newportlocal
11-19-2012, 09:21 AM
Quite a few songs here too.
http://www.scorpexuke.com/songs.html
But you can't go wrong with uke minutes. Good stuff.

OldePhart
11-19-2012, 09:28 AM
Im learning plenty of songs from youtube and tab sites but Im getting kindof frustrated with strumming the same chords for every song - people can never tell what song Im playing until I sing along.

Is this just my song choices? Or do these sites dumb songs down to make them easier?

I want to fingerpick riffs and play real detail but just cannot find anywhere to help D;

Welcome to UU - as you've already discovered, there are very, very few songs that are distinctive enough to be recognized from the chord progression and rhythm alone. That is the case no matter what instrument you are playing.

There is nothing wrong with singing, of course, but if you want to learn picking styles you've probably come to the right place for a start.

John

Caddy65
11-19-2012, 09:32 AM
Just wanted to say welcome to the forum. There are a lot of friendly and helpful people here. Enjoy your stay!

Louis0815
11-20-2012, 10:34 AM
Welcome to UU - as you've already discovered, there are very, very few songs that are distinctive enough to be recognized from the chord progression and rhythm alone.To back up that statement have a look at the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain mixing up roughly 200 years of music into a single "song" - all with the same chords...

http://youtu.be/LUijx65ss9I

OldePhart
11-20-2012, 11:57 AM
I love when UOGB does that bit - I hope to see it live some day. I hear that they close many of their shows with that.

John

kvehe
11-20-2012, 02:28 PM
Regarding people not knowing what you're playing until you sing - I just learned the other night (and maybe everyone in the uke world knew this except me) that the chords for "Ths Land is Your Land" and for " Aloha Oe" are the same. (At least, the easy beginner version chords are the same.)

Patrick Madsen
11-20-2012, 07:55 PM
What a great example of many songs played in the same key Louis.

From an old, old guitar, uke player Liam. Most songs sound the same when learning. What will make them unique is the finger patterns, the strumming technique and small nuances a person puts in a song. That come from experience and many, many hours of practise.

Welcome, I'm sure it won't be long til your posting videos on Youtube and we all knowing what the song is.

Ipsofacto
11-20-2012, 09:25 PM
Welcome to UU! As a newbie myself, I had the same problem, but it's something you'll find with a lot of instruments. There are only a certain amount of chords, but there are countless millions of songs. Just keep with it, you'll learn to notice these things yourself. You'll even mix up the rhythm sometimes and start to hear a completely different song (e.g. I looked at the chords for '9 crimes' by Damien Rice while practicing the other day, then realized that the strumming pattern of the chorus sounded identical to that of Eagle Eyed Cherry's 'Save Tonight'.)

And it's a good thing ;) Two songs (hell, the amount of mileage I've got out of 'C', 'G' and 'F' so far is ace) for the price of one. You'll also notice that people won't necessarily notice that you're playing the same chords! Because as you say, a lot of song's are distinguished by their vocal melody. Just keep plucking, you'll eventually find stuff that is distinguishable by the chords, although it's usually a lot more challenging and fun to play :)

Louis0815
11-21-2012, 10:35 AM
I hope to see it live some day.Highly recommended (been there, done that already and LMAO) - unless you can't stand some british humour, of course.

Just saw on their website (http://www.ukuleleorchestra.com/main/ShowPage.aspx?PageID=9) that they will be touring western USA in April 2013.

OldePhart
11-21-2012, 01:40 PM
Highly recommended (been there, done that already and LMAO) - unless you can't stand some british humour, of course.

Just saw on their website (http://www.ukuleleorchestra.com/main/ShowPage.aspx?PageID=9) that they will be touring western USA in April 2013.

Yeah...they've skipped all around me - west coast, east coast, northern US. I may have to break down and buy a plane ticket - but if I'm going to go that far I think I'd just as soon renew my passport and see them in their own country and do a bit of siteseeing with.

JOhn