Mainland cedar soprano or Kala concert

Jojobou

Reaction score
Hello all,

Very sorry about posting another this or that thread... I've been reading a lot of posts here on UU and it helped me tremendously in my choice of a ukulele but I'm a little stuck

I've been playing a cheap uke for a couple of months and love it so want to upgrade. After reading many comments here and trying some mainlands and kalas at a local store in Ottawa Canada my preference would go towards the Mainland cedar concert. Unfortunately ordering a Mainland cedar concert would be over my budget (390$ CAN including taxes and I have a budget of 300$ CAN).

They didn't have the cedar concert but I tried the cedar soprano and really loved the sound. I also tried some Kala concert ukes, I think they were acacia and they would be around 150$ (200$ with pickup). They sounded good but not as full and loud as the Mainland soprano. But I might be mistaken. I like the option of having more frets although it will take a really long time before I learn to go this high on the uke. I also like the added spacing in the frets.

So, based on your experience, should I go for a Mainland soprano or Kala concert?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Joël.

My vote would be for the Mainland without a doubt. Both of my Mainland sopranos (mango and mahogany) are far louder and have much nicer tone than even the solid Acacia Kala ukes, and there simply isn't even a comparison with the Kala laminated ukes.

If you absolutely must have a concert scale then at least buy from a dealer who will set the Kala up properly as they are often pretty poor straight from the factory.

Oh...and give Mike at Mainland a call or drop him an email - he might well have a blem concert that would be in your price range. I have two or three Mainland blems and the stuff Mike calls blems I wouldn't even have noticed if he or Tookta hadn't pointed it out to me.

John

+1 for the cedar Mainland.

+2 for the Mainland. I love my Mainland cedar/rosewood

I have a red cedar Mainland soprano and it's a fantastic uke.

There's a mahogany Mainland concert for $185 in the Marketplace.

Last edited:
Ditto on the Mainland

It has arrived

My vote would be for the Mainland without a doubt. Both of my Mainland sopranos (mango and mahogany) are far louder and have much nicer tone than even the solid Acacia Kala ukes, and there simply isn't even a comparison with the Kala laminated ukes.

If you absolutely must have a concert scale then at least buy from a dealer who will set the Kala up properly as they are often pretty poor straight from the factory.

Oh...and give Mike at Mainland a call or drop him an email - he might well have a blem concert that would be in your price range. I have two or three Mainland blems and the stuff Mike calls blems I wouldn't even have noticed if he or Tookta hadn't pointed it out to me.

John

Thanks to everyone for your advice, and thank you john for your recommendation. I just received my red cedar concert from mainland today and I'm in love!!!

Stay tuned for my intro post...

Joel.

Congratulations! Give us a review on your uke when You can. I'm thinking about a Mainland someday...

Thanks to everyone for your advice, and thank you john for your recommendation. I just received my red cedar concert from mainland today and I'm in love!!!

Stay tuned for my intro post...

Joel.

Yay! Looking forward to your intro post!

John

Top Bottom