and another soprano $795 but think that the 20's one sounded better
and was actually in better shape. there are a few concert
sizes as well. But IF you are looking for a nice Vintage
Martin give these guys a call.

Island Guitars Phone 808-591-2910
www.islandguitars.com
aloha@islandguitars.com

They are located in the Ward Warehouse Center and have
been there for a number of years. They are reliable.

Enjoy.

Unless I'm missing something, the instruments you refer to are not listed on their website.

dt

They may not be listed --- but more than likely they may be able to
send you a photo of them. i couldn't believe how many they had there
and IF i were into soprano's would be bringing the 1920 Martin for
$795 home. He said they will ship and more than likely this is why
they have so many there simply because they aren't listed. Like i
said can't believe they have so many vintage ones. the 1920 one
has a small surface crack on the front but you have to look close to
see it and it's not all the way through it's just a small surface thing.
I should have taken pictures of them today while there.

Unless I'm missing something, the instruments you refer to are not listed on their website.

dt

PS. Am sure this is why they have so many -- it says you can
ask and they will give pictures. Don't know why they aren't listing
the Vintage Martin Ukes on their site as they would go quickly. If
interested would be good to call them would definitely go for the
1920 one over the late 60's it sounded nicer and i think was in better
condition. Nice little Uke for sure.

1920 could be the cats meow for sound. Here is a 1932 Style 2, all quarter sawn mahogany top, sides and back (transition year...only year they had the sticker on the front of the headstock and embossing of the back of the headstock. The sound is incredible. It's the only soprano I own in my collection and glad my buddy told me it existed.

untitled-3465.jpg
untitled-3468.jpg
untitled-3467.jpg

Old wood is good wood and they seemed to have some darn good wood back then. I'm sure someone will pick up those vintage Martins in a heartbeat. My buddy collects vintage ukes, I have to tell him about his lead..good info. Tnx.

Last edited:
I think it's easy to miss as the sign says it's a guitar store - and they are on the
second floor of the ward warehouse mall so an easy one to miss unless you know
where they are.

How did I miss this place when I was in Honolulu last month?

Can see now why people are raving about the Martin was really very
surprised and the 1920 one was sweet. Should have played the ones
they had that were up there in price as i bet they were killer. Am sure
the only reason he has so many is he doesn't really advertise them so
unless you live here in hawaii you wouldn't know he has this stash going.

1920 could be the cats meow for sound. Here is a 1932 Style 2, all quarter sawn mahogany top, sides and back (transition year...only year they had the sticker on the front of the headstock and embossing of the back of the headstock. The sound is incredible. It's the only soprano I own in my collection and glad my buddy told me it existed.

View attachment 45607
View attachment 45608
View attachment 45609

Old wood is good wood and they seemed to have some darn good wood back then. I'm sure someone will pick up those vintage Martins in a heartbeat. My buddy collects vintage ukes, I have to tell him about his lead..good info. Tnx.

Has anyone got a guide to Vintage Martins? I was looking at one in a store near a colleague's home a few months back, but the asking price was only around $500? It was a little beat up in terms of aesthetics, but it still played like a dream... I assume I should go back and have another look? I was going to make an semi-acoustic concert my next purchase, but the Martin brand seems to get a lot of respect. and now I can string a few notes together and am not just pottering about, I think it could be my pride and joy if I were to pick it up :)

Island Guitars is where I bought my first guitar way back when. Good to hear that they're still around.

My 1930 Martin Style 0 was a revelation-- huge, delightful tone. I feel like the Style 0 is the true bargain of the vintage market. They are plentiful, easy to find, and still very affordable.

Edited to add: That's my Style 0 covering half my face in my avatar :)

A vintage martin soprano is my dream uke, hope i one day get to own one, ive been lucky enough to play on a couple, just need to win lotto so i can actually own one :(

i don't go by time periods but based upon each individual instrument that
was played at this particular store. Out of the 3 vintage i played definitely
the sweetest sound happened to be from the 1920's one. If it had been a
tenor it would be on it's way home with me. i am just not entranced with
sopranos but to someone that loves soprano ukes this would be a killer
one to own.

My style O from the 50's or 60's sound amazing. You don't necessarily need to get one from the 20's or 30's imo.

one to own.

That's true. I tried a Style 5k from the 1920's and I wasn't impressed. It was a repaired uke though which might account for some of that.

one to own.
just played a vintage Martin tenor at a store in St Louis. the finish was dull and it had a repaired BACK CRACK AND A 12 FRET NECK, BUT WHAT A NICE , MELLO, VERY BALANCED TONE, AND A THIN FAST NECK. on consignment for $850, not a bad price considering. I think the neck has been reset. I wanted it so bad. Got to play one of the new Mexican Martin koa tenors too, I was impressed for the $500 price. in my opinion a much nicer uke than the older SO. way to go martin.

just played a vintage Martin tenor at a store in St Louis. the finish was dull and it had a repaired BACK CRACK AND A 12 FRET NECK, BUT WHAT A NICE , MELLO, VERY BALANCED TONE, AND A THIN FAST NECK. on consignment for $850, not a bad price considering. I think the neck has been reset. I wanted it so bad. Got to play one of the new Mexican Martin koa tenors too, I was impressed for the $500 price. in my opinion a much nicer uke than the older SO. way to go martin.

Good to know the new Martins are better than the SOs. i owned one and liked it mostly because it was my first real uke.

Top Bottom