First Ukulele

RedViolin

Reaction score
Limited Kala -Marcy Marxer vs Pono Atc-C?

EDIT: Look at the last post.

I've played the acoustic guitar for a year and the violin for four years. Now, I'm looking into buying my first uke.

I would like a warm and mellow sound in a tenor size. Right now, I have $370. Any suggestions?

Right now, I'm eying the Kala KA-SMLT and the Pono ATC-C. Any thoughts on them?

Last edited:
Pono's are very High Quality and sound Great but, that Slot Head Kala looks Nice too!...

Pono, no doubt in my mind. Have checked out Kala v. Pono at HMS and prefer Pono. I have two and I'm playing the MC more than anything else for past three weeks since I got it in Wahiawa.

Hmm, seems like the majority is going with the Pono.

For those who have played the Pono ATC-C, is it warm to you? Also, how's the feel? It's hard to tell on the HMS website cause the recordings can be misleading.

Feel free to call the guys at HMS. They'll answer any questions you have. They've been great in helping me pick out my last couple ukes.

Pono can be brightish or mellowish, depending on strings. Same with Kala. Some closeout Kala Solid mahogany tenors with cutaway and pickup on ebay for $199 with free shipping (no setup). They sound very good, buuuutttttt, it won't be a Pono. I like a little bling, but for me, sound has to come first.....Pono for me.

I second the recommendation for the Pono. I LOVE mine - beautiful instrument. I have no regrets about choosing it. :)

Pono quality and roundness of tone beats Kala IMHO. Sorry Kala lovers. Kala at that price are nice, but not up to a Pono. If you have Pono money, have you checked Mele? Sweet too.

What about the limited Kala -Marcy Marxer - Spruce/ Acacia Tenor Electric? It's not very warm but sounds very nice! Feels great too. This or the pono?

With the pono, I'm not sure what I'm getting. With the Kala, I know what I'm getting (plus, it's only $350).

Lots of Pono fans here. Yet, where I live its mostly Kala's. One store has recently had some Pono's for sale and while they were nice they didn't jump out at me as being superior to Kala's. My two bobs worth. Buy the Kala and when you want to buy something else you could go upmarket of both the Kala and the Pono.

Anthony

So after MUCH thinking, I have just bought the Pono ATC-C as a late Christmas present for myself. I hope it comes in perfect shape and I enjoy playing it for years to come! Thanks for all the help everyone :)

I can't wait till it comes. Ground shipping is going to take forever....the wait is killing me :(

So after MUCH thinking, I have just bought the Pono ATC-C as a late Christmas present for myself. I hope it comes in perfect shape and I enjoy playing it for years to come! Thanks for all the help everyone :)

I can't wait till it comes. Ground shipping is going to take forever....the wait is killing me :(

I can relate. I'm a newbie to ukes too. I just joined this forum & saw your post. I ordered a Pono AT yesterday after reading many reviews. I should get it on Friday, unless the East coast weather delays delivery.

congrats too...I would have chosen the pono with free setup from HMS ....way to go..big difference man buying direct from HMS believe me soundwise..

Last edited:
Yep...wise decision...enjoy your new uke!

Thanks everyone. I got an email saying that the Pono is coming on 1/2/13. I'm extremely excited :)

Geee...not coming until next year, I don't think I could wait that long! :)

Just kidding - enjoy your uke.

Let us see when it gets home!

Top Bottom