The Bach Uke Book: List of Tunes?

Luke El U

Reaction score
Does anyone have this new book by Rob MacKillop?
I'd like to know all the "tunes" in it. Does it include the BWV
numbers? How easy/difficult is it.

Seems like it would be a great add to the other early music publications out there.

Yes, I have the eBook of this book. It's a book of (mostly) duets for standard re-entrant GCEA ukulele and baritone DGBE ukulele (or guitar) -- of the 20 pieces included, just two are for ukulele solo. Difficulty of the ukulele parts appears to range from easy to difficult -- I've tried only the two solo pieces so far so I can't be very specific.

List of pieces below. The BVW numbers are included on the title pages, but not in the table of contents.

Bourée
Bourée I
Christ Lay in the Bonds of Death
Jesus, Your Love Wounds
Jesus, My Joy
Jesu, Joy of Man’s Desiring
Come, Sweet Death
Minuet in F
Minuet in G (1)
Minuet in Gm
Minuet in G (2)
Musette in D
O Sweet Little One
Polonaise in Gm
A Boy is Born in Bethlehem
Sarabande
Sheep May Safely Graze
Grant Us Peace Mercifully
Sleepers Awake
What makes you downhearted, my heart?

Thank you Millbrook. I'm hoping "Jesus, My Joy" is "Jesu Meine Freude" BWV 227.

Yo can also get the ebook for under 12 at melbay.com today- support the source!

Yo can also get the ebook for under 12 at melbay.com today- support the source!
Cool, but the 35% Cyber Monday discount is only for ebooks.

I do not understand why the regular price for the ebook is the same as for a printed book/CD. Aside from the instant gratification of a download, you have to pay extra (as in ink and paper) to print it out yourself.

But if anyone's on the fence about buying it and wants to hear what the music sounds like, they seem to have no restriction on downloading the MP3s that come with the ebook.

Rob MacKillop does an amazing job with uke arrangements (love his Sanz book!) and this book is no exception. Besides a number of familiar Bach tunes, I'm happy to see he's included quite a few lesser known ones as well.

My copy shipped on Saturday and has already made it from Pennsylvania to L.A. and thru the local USPS sort facility, so I'll keep my fingers crossed that it'll be out for delivery tomorrow. :)

The reason I buy ebooks is because my wife will only let me have a certain number of printed ones sitting around the house- you should see my uke limitations...

Cool, but the 35% Cyber Monday discount is only for ebooks.

I do not understand why the regular price for the ebook is the same as for a printed book/CD. Aside from the instant gratification of a download, you have to pay extra (as in ink and paper) to print it out yourself.

But if anyone's on the fence about buying it and wants to hear what the music sounds like, they seem to have no restriction on downloading the MP3s that come with the ebook.

Rob MacKillop does an amazing job with uke arrangements (love his Sanz book!) and this book is no exception. Besides a number of familiar Bach tunes, I'm happy to see he's included quite a few lesser known ones as well.

My copy shipped on Saturday and has already made it from Pennsylvania to L.A. and thru the local USPS sort facility, so I'll keep my fingers crossed that it'll be out for delivery tomorrow. :)

The reason I buy ebooks is because my wife will only let me have a certain number of printed ones sitting around the house- you should see my uke limitations...
I hear you on that. :p My husband gives me grief every time I buy a uke book, and I don't have that many since I'm mainly only interested in classical. I have two filing cabinets full of classical guitar sheets/books... I think maybe he's afraid that it'll keep multiplying.

Before the internet (and I'm showing my age here) we used to have to actually buy physical copies in stores, so I basically bought everything I could get my hands on. Well, I had a lot more disposable income back then, too.

He also bags on me when I "waste" ink on printing out tabs/sheets. I try to be frugal in that regard, and always try a piece in front of my monitor before deciding whether or not it's worth printing or just saving a digital copy for later reference.

Rob MacKillop does an amazing job with uke arrangements (love his Sanz book!) :)

Rob MacKillop does offer the MP3s to his other books at this site: http://www.fingerstyleuke.com/MP3.htm
But unfortunately I don't see the Bach Uke Book there. I may have to order the ebook, thought I've never done that before, as I'm having difficulty ordering the hard copy from bookstores here in Thailand. I also love his Sanz book!

I bought this one as an eBook since it's a book of duets. When I get ready to work on a piece with someone, I can print us each a hard copy (my understanding is that that kind of printing is covered by the license). Easier than having two people hover over the same book.

Hi. Rob MacKillop here. Any questions about this book - just ask.

The hard copy of your Bach Uke Book seems to be unavailable to me via bookstores here in Thailand. Any idea why?

Also, I wonder if you could make your arranging techniques for ukulele available to us, in a book format for sale or otherwise.
How do you know what to add, what to leave out, what will work and what won't?

So, for example, for those of us who love your Sanz book so much, how would we go about trying to arrange pieces from
another baroque guitarist, say Antoine Carre?

Thanks again. Love your music!

Hi Luke. I don't actually work FOR Mel Bay, so I've no idea why you can't get the book in Thailand. You should drop them an email.

A book on arranging techniques might be interesting, but I don't have the time to write it. I'm not sure how many copies it would sell, so I'm not sure if Mel Bay would carry it. As for Sanz, I played his music on a Baroque guitar for many years before making the arrangements, and that undoubtedly influenced my arrangements. I like Carre's music as well, so maybe some day...

Top Bottom