Pono -MBD - Mahogany Baritone Deluxe with Oahu Hard Case - $425

Status
Not open for further replies.

1geo

Reaction score
JUST IN TIME FOR CHRISTMAS! The Baritone is just to large for me. This MBD with Oahu hard case costs $687 on “The Ukulele Site” I’m asking $425 plus actual shippingcosts. If you’re interested, email meyour zip and I’ll give you a quote on shipping. My email is n3epj@yahoo.com
b1.jpgb2.jpgb3.jpgb4.jpgb5.jpg

Oh, and you are not following the marketplace rules....your ad is missing the required shot of the Uke along with your name and date etc...

Thanks for the reply. The ukulele costs $608 WITHOUT THE CASE. The web site mentioned sells the case for $79; simple math equals $687. I really do appreciate the comment, it gives me the opportunity to give the details of the costs publicly. THAT'S THE WAY IT SHOULD WORK, NOT HIDDEN IN PRIVATE MESSAGES so thanks again.

Uke is only $529 on the site...add the case,it's $608 not $687...happy to help, I enjoy this new format!Thanks for introducing it!

A detail I am uncertain about

I purchasedthis uku from a private party to see if I would like to play the baritone. It turned out to be to big for me; myfavorite is the tenor. There is onedetain I am uncertain about. If you lookclosely at the label there is stamped the number 2. The only thing I can think that means is itsa second. I have carefully examined itand I cannot find one imperfection, no scratches, no dings, no dents, noblemishes, no nothing; its in mint condition and so is the case. But just to be on the safe side if anyonepurchases this instrument I will give them a 48 hour examination period. If they return it in the condition received Iwill give them a full refund minus shipping.

Uke is only $529 on the site...add the case,it's $608 not $687...happy to help, I enjoy this new format!Thanks for introducing it!
We are bothwrong, I just checked the site again and they just reduced the price to $469.Add the case at $79 and you come up with $548. That puts my price $123 underretail. Thanks ukegirl its through this type of open discussion that we cancome to the truth and that's what we are after....isn't it?

The "2" does indeed denote blemished/b-stock. From my experience, that's pretty meaningless, as it's often just an aesthetic issue.

Whoever ends up with it will have a great instrument. I agree, it's tough to find the imperfections on a Pono 2nd. Shows their quality standards.

I love playing my bari. The deep low bluesy jazz chord sound just is a pleasure to hear.... and play.

I purchasedthis uku from a private party to see if I would like to play the baritone. It turned out to be to big for me; myfavorite is the tenor. There is onedetain I am uncertain about. If you lookclosely at the label there is stamped the number 2. The only thing I can think that means is itsa second. I have carefully examined itand I cannot find one imperfection, no scratches, no dings, no dents, noblemishes, no nothing; its in mint condition and so is the case. But just to be on the safe side if anyonepurchases this instrument I will give them a 48 hour examination period. If they return it in the condition received Iwill give them a full refund minus shipping.
For Clarity
I do notwant to leave the impression that I purchased this uku off of UU, I didnot. As stated, I purchased it from aprivate party which happens to be local. I normally don’t ask the seller the origin of the instrument. I only ask if there is a problem and in thiscase there was none. So I cannot say who the original seller was.

Thanks to the OP for all the disclosures. As for your baritone being a blemished, I wouldn't let that get in the way of buying a Pono ukulele. I have a "blemished" mahogany 6-string tenor that I bought from Pono on eBay, and I still can't find what might have been wrong with it.

I do have a question, though. (I should disclose here that I myself do not want to buy this ukulele, although I recommend it as an instrument because I have the same model and I love it.) The blemished Pono mahogany 6-string I bought was at a significantly lower price than an unblemished brand new mahogany 6-string (same model) from HMS/ukulelesite would have asked. You mentioned that you bought this baritone Pono from a private party who, if the ukulele was sold to him by Pono as a blemished ukulele, probably paid much less than retail. So when you compare the price you're asking for your apparently blemished ukulele to a brand new unblemished ukulele on the HMS website, I don't find that to be particularly informative. Would you be willing to disclose how the private party who sold the ukulele to you represented it to you, and if he/she told you it was some sort of factory second (Pono also sells manufacturer-refurbished ukuleles at its eBay site), how much you paid for it? Since the ukulele was the subject of a prior transaction that established it's marketplace value, telling potential buyers what they could expect to payu if they bought the same model new doesn't say as much about the value of THIS ukulele as what its value was in an earlier transaction. In fact, many people selling ukuleles here disclose what they paid for the ukulele they're trying to sell. Thanks!

Thanks to the OP for all the disclosures. As for your baritone being a blemished, I wouldn't let that get in the way of buying a Pono ukulele. I have a "blemished" mahogany 6-string tenor that I bought from Pono on eBay, and I still can't find what might have been wrong with it.

I do have a question, though. (I should disclose here that I myself do not want to buy this ukulele, although I recommend it as an instrument because I have the same model and I love it.) The blemished Pono mahogany 6-string I bought was at a significantly lower price than an unblemished brand new mahogany 6-string (same model) from HMS/ukulelesite would have asked. You mentioned that you bought this baritone Pono from a private party who, if the ukulele was sold to him by Pono as a blemished ukulele, probably paid much less than retail. So when you compare the price you're asking for your apparently blemished ukulele to a brand new unblemished ukulele on the HMS website, I don't find that to be particularly informative. Would you be willing to disclose how the private party who sold the ukulele to you represented it to you, and if he/she told you it was some sort of factory second (Pono also sells manufacturer-refurbished ukuleles at its eBay site), how much you paid for it? Since the ukulele was the subject of a prior transaction that established it's marketplace value, telling potential buyers what they could expect to payu if they bought the same model new doesn't say as much about the value of THIS ukulele as what its value was in an earlier transaction. In fact, many people selling ukuleles here disclose what they paid for the ukulele they're trying to sell. Thanks!

You may find your answer looking at the ebay feedback for koolau. A Pono MBD with hardshell case sold on November 1 for $274.00 + $35.00 shipping to someone with the same eBay ID.

The key is that Opahcat is not selling one at that price right now.

I recall in the past several months, there was a Collings UT-1 sold for $550 or so and one sold recently with LR Baggs 5.0 for $700+. I bet if they listed it for $100 more than what they purchased it for, it would be sold immediately!

Supply and Demand Curve and Arbitrage!! The marketplace will dictate what the selling price will be...let it run its course

The Price of Second

We are bothwrong, I just checked the site again and they just reduced the price to $469.Add the case at $79 and you come up with $548. That puts my price $123 underretail. Thanks ukegirl its through this type of open discussion that we cancome to the truth and that's what we are after....isn't it?

It has come to my attention information on prices of Pono Seconds that Istrongly feel should be made public so potential buyer are aware of ALL oftheir options. I was informed via the PM system that Pono seconds have beensold for as little as $349. If you can find a Pono Baritone Deluxe for $349 youwould be foolish to buy mine at $425 and my advice to you would be BUY IT! Imean this sincerely. People today work hard for their money and need to getvalue for their dollar. You should not have to over pay for anything. Sales onUU in the final analysis HAVE to be win-win. If they are not then the saleshould never happen. My Baritone Pono offers a significant value at the asking price of $425 and therefore is still for sale if anyone isinterested. Geo.

You may find your answer looking at the ebay feedback for koolau. A Pono MBD with hardshell case sold on November 1 for $274.00 + $35.00 shipping to someone with the same eBay ID.

If you look at my eBay rating its well over 1000. I have bought many ukus on eBay and currently have about 18 including several several Ponos Baritones. The one up for sale was not bought off of eBay. I do not disclose my buyer or sellers. Nor do I publish the price I pay for an instrument. I will say it is my policy to sell for more than I buy; that is what the free enterprise system is all about, i.e., I believe in making a profit. If you believe differently I will not agree with you but I will defend your right to sell at a loss. Please let me know when you have something for sale.

Hi Mds735, I believe I just answered your question in another post but will repeat it here. It is my policy not to disclose my buyers or sellers nor do I publish the price I paid for an instrument. I will say that I sell for more then I buy for. I believe in making a profit. What others do on UU is of course their privilage; what I do I have clearly stated. Simply put, if you can buy a Pono like the one I have for sale at a cheaper price you would be foolish to pay me more and my advice would be to buy it.

If you look at my eBay rating its well over 1000. I have bought many ukus on eBay and currently have about 18 including several several Ponos Baritones. The one up for sale was not bought off of eBay. I do not disclose my buyer or sellers. Nor do I publish the price I pay for an instrument. I will say it is my policy to sell for more than I buy; that is what the free enterprise system is all about, i.e., I believe in making a profit. If you believe differently I will not agree with you but I will defend your right to sell at a loss. Please let me know when you have something for sale.

Seriously...after all the crap you gave me over $2!!! ROTFLMFAO!!!

Hi Mds735, I believe I just answered your question in another post but will repeat it here. It is my policy not to disclose my buyers or sellers nor do I publish the price I paid for an instrument. I will say that I sell for more then I buy for. I believe in making a profit. What others do on UU is of course their privilage; what I do I have clearly stated. Simply put, if you can buy a Pono like the one I have for sale at a cheaper price you would be foolish to pay me more and my advice would be to buy it.

By and large, I sat out of the thread you started about people asking questions of sellers posting in the UU marketplace. i thought it was an interesting dicussion that was needed and produced some very interesting posts and viewpoints. While I respect your policies about not making certain disclosures, I find them to be inconsistent with some of the things you've said in that thread and elsewhere about the importance of buyers knowing as much as possible and the value of people, whatever their interest in the thing being sold, asking important questions. I don't need to know the name of the person you bought your ukulele from, but -- and I guess this is your target audience of potential buyers -- unless I needed a Pono MBD mahogany deluxe baritone ukulele immediately, I'd have no reason not to wait for one that was being sold at a price closer to what you might have paid for yours. Knowing that ukuleles like the one you are selling are occasionally sold by the manufacturer (without the possible damage caused by a middleman owner or two) for less than you're asking for yours, I'd just wait. I simply don't see how having such an ukulele pass through additional hands adds value to it. I agree that the market sets the value and if someone buys your ukulele for $425 then that's the value of that ukulele, whatever you paid for it or whatever it was originally sold for by the manufacturer. But you have to admit that there's a boatload of irony in this thread given your somewhat strident position elsewhere about the importance of full disclosure and the importance to you of questions of UU Marketplace sellers that prompt those disclosures.

Good luck with your sale. Pono mahogany baritones are wonderful instruments.

The key is that Opahcat is not selling one at that price right now.

I recall in the past several months, there was a Collings UT-1 sold for $550 or so and one sold recently with LR Baggs 5.0 for $700+. I bet if they listed it for $100 more than what they purchased it for, it would be sold immediately!

Supply and Demand Curve and Arbitrage!! The marketplace will dictate what the selling price will be...let it run its course

As usual, I agree with Daniel. You need not mention prices that you paid nor prices for which it's available elsewhere. Any buyer will do their own due diligence. It is, as stated by Daniel, supply and demand.

That said, a photo with the date and UU marketplace and your name on it--which is suggested by UU Marketplace rules, and not required---might help your sale to show that you have the instrument in your possession, especially as a new member of UU Forums. That is a suggestion only.

I have many Ponos, and adore them. They are lovely sounding instruments, I agree with mds7==.

PS As nongdam knows, that was me that got the UT-1 Collings with Baggs 5.0 for just over 700 clams. Early Christmas! Much better ukulele than I was expecting. Never sell. lol

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom