8 string tenor?

ukulelearp

Reaction score
I was thinking about buying a new ukulele. I haven't even mastered chords yet, but i've been discouraged by my current cheapo ukulele's bad intonation. I was searching and came across an 8 string Lanikai Tenor. My question is: Would it be unwise for a beginner to practice on an 8 string? How much harder would it be?

Its not bad if all you do is strum, to pick and strum a 8 string takes so practice. I mangle songs on the 8 string that I can play with ease on the standard.

Also just like a 12 string guitar an 8 string has a songs that give it strengths to and songs that is has a weaknesses in.

I was thinking about buying a new ukulele. I haven't even mastered chords yet, but i've been discouraged by my current cheapo ukulele's bad intonation. I was searching and came across an 8 string Lanikai Tenor. My question is: Would it be unwise for a beginner to practice on an 8 string? How much harder would it be?
All depends on what you wanna do, strum or pick as wearymicrobe said. I would recommend a 4 string first and after you're comfortable with your playing, then go for the 8.

All depends on what you wanna do, strum or pick as wearymicrobe said. I would recommend a 4 string first and after you're comfortable with your playing, then go for the 8.

I agree w/ Kanaka. I would start w/ a 4-string w/ high g set up (to mainly strum), then a 4-string w/ low g for picking, then an 8-string...but that's me and that's what I did and I'm glad I did it!

sticking with a 4 string is always a safe bet. whether it be a high g or low g tuning. you still play the same way with a 6 or 8 string uke, since strings are just doubled or octaved. its not impossible to pick a 6 or 8 string, but like microbe said, it may take some practice and getting used to.

if you can afford to experiment, then go ahead and get the 8 string. i tried 6 string ukes. i liked them a lot at first. but then i got over it and went back to 4 strings. didnt even bother trying to sell the 6 string ukes i had. i just ended up converting them to 4 string ukes and now i hart dem.

Top Bottom