Weirdest thing ever - G string out of tune on beach

000Kanaka000

Reaction score
Got some nice chicken and went to the beach to hang
out have some lunch and play the uke. No matter what
couldn't get the G string to tune and remain in tune. Came
back to the hotel and no problem. Have never seen anything
like it. Anybody have any ideas ? Other than this strangeness
am loving my Hawaii time. Maybe it was a ukelele kapu beach.
hahahahahahah

Saw Taiamani Gardner yesterday and she was even better in
person than on her CD's even though she had a touch of food
poisoning. Ouch. Her guitar player rocks and really amps up
the whole performance.

May try another beach and see if it just happens in that
particular spot or if it is just a sea air strangeness.

Good question the tuners are good brought along my
Moore Bettah Uke so don't think it's the tuners. At
first thought maybe that tuner might need a bit of
tightening but that's not the case at all. Thought that
one might be slipping but nope. The tuners are Grovers.

Got some nice chicken and went to the beach to hang
out have some lunch and play the uke. No matter what
couldn't get the G string to tune and remain in tune. Came
back to the hotel and no problem. Have never seen anything
like it. Anybody have any ideas ? Other than this strangeness
am loving my Hawaii time. Maybe it was a ukelele kapu beach.
hahahahahahah

Saw Taiamani Gardner yesterday and she was even better in
person than on her CD's even though she had a touch of food
poisoning. Ouch. Her guitar player rocks and really amps up
the whole performance.

May try another beach and see if it just happens in that
particular spot or if it is just a sea air strangeness.

Can't be the Moore Bettah, so it has to be the chicken.

But seriously it could be the string. I find T2 and Alohi strings always need tuning, especially if temp/RH change.

Yeah with a Moore bettah I don't think it's the tuners. Cause with my Martin I walked out side one night and it just went like 2 steps down. My guess its the string like doc j said

Yes must be the string am surprised being they are worth strings.
The other strings were fine just the G that get's totally hinky. Will
change the strings and go again to see.

When I'm on the beach wearing a G-string, I make sure it's in tune.

It's cool that you travel w/ the good stuff!! That's what I plan to do when I go somewhere

Depends on where i am going. Am going over to see Chuck on the Big Island
so it's only right to bring along the one he built. Time for it to go home for a
short visit, but then it's coming back with me. Plan on finding out about all the
little particulars of this instrument. It's so nice when you can spend a bit of time
with the maker and to see where they are hand crafted. Now off around the island
to look for new strings, and to ferret out the best Huli Huli Chicken.

It's cool that you travel w/ the good stuff!! That's what I plan to do when I go somewhere

I think the wood was just responding to the weather. Every wooden instrument does it, and it should be able to respond a bit without any damage. Ever seen a band have to play a winter outdoor concert? Ever seen the swearing that goes along with trying to tune beforehand? Of course the weather is more drastic here, but I was trying to record, and the C and G string kept going (Kanilea, t2 strings). Besides that, the uke had this brittle sound I associate with winter concerts. I was like WTF? My husband had cracked the window to air out after dinner. The window wasn't even open enough for me to feel it, and the uke only felt it for 5 minutes, but it was enough to make the instrument respond to it.

Not that you were in a winter concert, but it's a change from the uke being inside all the time. I'm sure it's completely safe, it just...responds to the weather.

* didn't have a thought that it would be damaged --- just a
pain that the one string was going total bonkers. Thank you
for your comment. Can understand the swearing in trying to
get it to tune and stay in tune.

I think the wood was just responding to the weather. Every wooden instrument does it, and it should be able to respond a bit without any damage. Ever seen a band have to play a winter outdoor concert? Ever seen the swearing that goes along with trying to tune beforehand? Of course the weather is more drastic here, but I was trying to record, and the C and G string kept going (Kanilea, t2 strings). Besides that, the uke had this brittle sound I associate with winter concerts. I was like WTF? My husband had cracked the window to air out after dinner. The window wasn't even open enough for me to feel it, and the uke only felt it for 5 minutes, but it was enough to make the instrument respond to it.

Not that you were in a winter concert, but it's a change from the uke being inside all the time. I'm sure it's completely safe, it just...responds to the weather.

Did you see Taimane at the Swim Bar, where she plays on most Fridays? I pray there was a swell turnout for her show. Food poisoning, that rots. Are you going over to HMS to see Corey and Aaron (maybe lucky and see Kalei) and the showmen on that end of the island? Haleiwa town? Big surf now at Waimea and Ehukai now, sista K. Cheers. (PS Photos or it didn't happen).

Did you see Taimane at the Swim Bar, where she plays on most Fridays?

* Yes absolutely --- it was great... But found out that i really wound up
seeing how great the guitarist that accompanies her is.

I pray there was a swell turnout for her show.

* it was a good turnout -- she had another gig afterward and her mom
and dad were there.

Food poisoning, that rots. Are you going over to HMS to see Corey and Aaron (maybe lucky and see Kalei) and the showmen on that end of the island? Haleiwa town? Big surf now at Waimea and Ehukai now, sista K. Cheers. (PS Photos or it didn't happen).

* just got back from Hawaiian Music Supply in Haleiwa. Yesterday went by northshore as well
but the surf was pretty small, maybe it was better today but went the quick way around by schofield.
While at HMS played some nice ukes. Now i get the mail no photos so guess it was my imagination.
hahahahahahah Saw my first Collings, and a DeSilva that was sweeeet.

I'd also say its both wood and strings together. I took one of my cheap ukes as a part of a costume with me outside, tuned it while I was inside, and after a while outside it sounded like crap.

Stretch out the G-string and tune it, then stretch it again, do that about 6-8 times in a row. It will stay in tune better and not go through the extreme change as bad.

OK can try that but have a sneaking suspicion that it's just a hinky string. The only
time it has done that weird untune, is at the beach any other time it remains just fine.

thanks for the suggestions.

Stretch out the G-string and tune it, then stretch it again, do that about 6-8 times in a row. It will stay in tune better and not go through the extreme change as bad.

Top Bottom