Ukeladies play for cancer patients

Tailgate

Reaction score
below is part of an article in todays Dallas Morning News. I don't know either of the ladies, but I've heard good things about Noel Tardy,who owns ukelady.com . I believe she might be on the forum. In any event, very inspiring story about two lovely people...

If the picture posts ok, Kate is the lady on left, Noel is on the right...

link to article is below, however, I think you might need to be a subscriber to the DMN to view the full article online

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/comm...leles-share-journeys-with-disease-in-song.ece
---

In the battle against cancer, Noel Tardy and Kate McLennan come armed with ukuleles.

The musicians, both cancer survivors, want to bring hope and healing to those who have cancer, are in remission or are caregivers to those with the disease.

So the women perform concerts with the small guitarlike instrument and share stories about their own cancer journeys. McLennan had leukemia, while Tardy was diagnosed with thyroid cancer.

They talk and sing about friendship and love, about savoring life, and about body image, losing hair and waiting for bloodwork results.

Tardy and McLennan, who formed a duo over the summer called Spirit Runners, hope their cancer stories inspire others. They hope their songs — some of which they wrote — resonate with audiences. They hope the sweet, soft, soothing sound of the ukulele comforts them.

Those who have cancer need support of family and friends to help heal, but music helps too, the musicians say.

“Creativity, community and feeling loved are critical parts of healing and having hope,” Tardy said.

While they want to help others, the concerts help the musicians, too. McLennan’s leukemia has been in remission for 10 years, but now she takes care of her mother, who has non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma.

Performing, McLennan said, is “a way to recharge, to fill myself back up after giving so much, and to pass on those skills and hopes and prayers.”

For the musicians, the ukulele, often associated with Hawaiian music, is ideal. Both have played the ukulele for several years and Tardy coordinates the annual Lone Star Uke Fest. The ukulele doesn’t intimidate audiences, they say.

“We just come in with these soft, little, gentle instruments,” Tardy said.

After concerts, audiences express their appreciation — and talk about the ukulele.

“They’re quite fascinated,” McLennan said. “It strikes a heart chord with people. ‘Wow, I never knew ukuleles could sound like that.’”

Recently, Tardy and McLennan performed in Oak Lawn at Cancer Support Community North Texas.

Attachments

• NM_09cancermusic.jpg
    NM_09cancermusic.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 13
That brought tears to my eyes. We once were playing at the waterfront park and a woman came down and listed to up for quite awhile. She said the music made her day. We started talking and she said she was in stage 4 of cancer pancreatic cancer. Really put the day in perspective for us.

that is a touching story, great to see uke players giving their time for sufferers of cancer

Top Bottom