Mahalo smiley face and Living Water Strings

kaizersoza

Reaction score
just a quick thread, I have had my smiley face Mahalo hanging around for a while, I bought it to entertain my grand daughter, today I was stringing my Mainland up with a low g string and I had a brainwave, lets chuck a set of Ken Middletons Living Water strings on my smiley face, WOW!!! what a transformation, it sounds so sweet almost bell like tone, it made the most beautiful sound, so I checked the totally crap intonation that it had previously and guess what, its bang on at the 12th fret, as it states on the packet for the strings they are made in heaven, I now believe this statement I am a happy camper..........That is all

:)

I recently restrung my daughters blue Mahalo with Aquilas in an emergency and thought that was a vast improvement but will try LWS when they wear out.

Yesterday I put a set of LWS on my new, Yew soprano and the change in tone from the Aquilas it came with was profound. Like you I had intonation concerns and now I have changed the strings those have gone completely. Happy days!

I had Aquillas on my cheap laminate uke (Soprano Stagg) first, when they were done for I switched to the Martin M500 (I believe that was the number, but don't take my word for it), and they sounded really really great.

Haven't tried the Living Water Strings yet, guess I need to find out where I can get them.

thanx for the replies guys, I used to use Aquilas on my cheaper ukes to improve the sound and projection, but they never seemed to do much for the intonation, this is the first time I have tried the Living Water strings even though I have bought quite a few sets in readiness to change the strings on my other better quality ukes, if they improve the intonation on cheaper ukes I wonder what the outcome would be on better quality ukes, I am no luthier or anything but I was wondering if the change was down to the actual thickness of the string coz Aquilas are quite thick and so was the strings I took off the uke, whilst the Living Waters are much thinner being flourocarbon, I love experimenting aye

Living Water Strings are from heaven, every ukulele that I put them on sounds better!

I had Aquillas on my cheap laminate uke (Soprano Stagg) first, when they were done for I switched to the Martin M500 (I believe that was the number, but don't take my word for it), and they sounded really really great.

Haven't tried the Living Water Strings yet, guess I need to find out where I can get them.

http://www.kenmiddleton.co.uk/Pages/LWS.aspx

If you're in the UK check out the separate link on the page for cheaper postage.

Enjoy.

Ben

Living Water strings are great!

I just put a set of low-D Living Water strings on my Chennell baritone uke and they are just fantastic. I swapped out the Aquila reds I had on it and am so happy I did! That low red D string buzzed and sounded plunky, but the LS low D rings clear and true without a hint of buzz. The LS string is also considerably thinner than the Aquila and more comfortable to play.

oooh, next time I order LW strings I'll get some soprano ones for my husband's smiley facce Mahalo. Intonation is pretty bad, and I switched strings around so he can playleft-handed before I thought about set up issues.
I've got LW on my old new Kanalea and they are lovely.

I just put a set of low-D Living Water strings on my Chennell baritone uke and they are just fantastic. I swapped out the Aquila reds I had on it and am so happy I did! That low red D string buzzed and sounded plunky, but the LS low D rings clear and true without a hint of buzz. The LS string is also considerably thinner than the Aquila and more comfortable to play.

This is why I have stayed away from Worths, for the most part: they are thinner than Aquilas and less comfortable for me. I would love to try Living Water strings, but this might be a deal-breaker.

CountryMouse

Top Bottom