Ukulele Medicine

joeybug

Reaction score
Hi Everyone :D

I was up all night due to pain issues and not being able to sleep and I found this graphic somewhere along the way:

Music-Pain.png

Now, I don't know how true it is, having found it on the internet, but I do find my pain levels do drop when I play my Ukes, so maybe there is some truth in it. Now if only they could get me some sleep and stop me falling over all the time ;)

Keep :music:

Joey

I do not know stats on this, but I believe music makes you feel better. It certainly has helped me through a lot. I consider my play time my peace time.
I hope you get feeling better.

It's true - Music helps me forget.

"forget what?"

I can't remember.

I wouldn't doubt this for a second - music and puppies, too! I hope you'll feel better soon.

So true for many things! I guess you can widen that to anything where you have to concentrate on and do something with your hands, like painting or playing an instrument. If you are fully immersed in that, your body is too distracted for other things, like pain (very unscientifically put).

So sorry you had a bad night Joey. I do believe that music offers many benefits. I have also heard that pain is reduced by laughter, so maybe put on a comedy before bed. I found that it is easier to fall asleep if I can focus on something like the TV or radio... just enough to get your mind to rest (nothing too demanding).

Good luck tonight.

–Lori

Sorry to hear about your pain issues, Joey. My own limited experience with the broken right middle finger I had last year is that while playing made my finger sore (I struck the strings with my thumb, but strumming jiggled my hand), I didn't mind as much because I was enjoying what I was doing. A friend of mine has been playing her ukulele with her broken right wrist in a cast, and playing makes her wrist tired but she's enjoying playing too much to stop. I think the studies reflected in the internet graphic involved listening to music rather than playing it. I've heard that neurologists have done studies where they watch the brain activity of people listening to music, and have found that listening to pleasant music stimulates pleasure centers in the brain and lowers activity in pain centers, but making music should have the same effect as long as the playing itself doesn't cause pain. I hope your pain issues resolve and you can get some sleep.

Aloha Joey,
sorry you cannot sleep...mee too I have this problem for over 21 years...shoots...and when I am really bad, any sound irratates me...I cannot even focus on playing and even when I
try cannot tune by ear and keep my timing...I usually then break down in tears......shoots hope you get better and feel better soon...

Sorry to hear about the bad nights Joey. I don't know that the phenomenon is as precisely measurable as that graphic but it is very true that the effects of pain can be greatly reduced by almost anything that you enjoy that consumes a fair amount of your mind to accomplish it (this is why even people who love watching TV don't really get much relief from doing so - it doesn't engage the brain).

(And, interestingly enough, just listening to music engages more of the brain than does watching television so even listening to music is likely to be a better "pain relief" than is watching the tele.)

For some reading brings the same type of relief.

None of these activities truly reduces pain, but helps remove our attention from the pain.

What constitutes a 25% reduction in depression? Going from wanting to kill yourself to just wanting to seriously injure yourself?

Hi Joey.

I know personally that the uke can also help reduce one's high blood pressure. What an instrument!

Sorry to hear about the bad night. Hopefully tonight will be better.

Music does heal the mind, which in turn, can aid in healing the body. It heals spirit. Not only in health, but it helps people cope with unpleasent situations. It may seem like a sad note, but really it wasn't. It was a beautiful moment. going on 5 years ago now, I lost my Dad. My Dad had a huge love of music. I came from a long line of music lovers. The day we lost my Dad. His body was pretty much shut down, and he was right in the middle of his transition of this life, and his afterlife with his Lord. When we came into his room when that time was so close. He was pretty much out of it, as far as any communication with anyone. My mother, myself and my sister sat by his side, and played, and sung some of his favorite songs right next to his head. We knew he heard it, because his blank face started to glow with a peaceful smile. His eyes never opened. he laid there with this peaceful grin on his face as we played and sung to him. He peacefully passed, and even though his health here was over, his spirit left fulfilled. He passed with a huge smile on his face and an earful of his family playing and singing some of his favorite songs while he was here.. Music made a sad painful moment, into a much more tollerable, full circle moment. It wasn't a bad thing at all..

I also have found that playing music can alleviate pain. It can also take your mind off of life's 'problems'.

Top Bottom