Share the Love On Ukulele Underground Day

electrauke

Reaction score
Hey guys, it is November 25 in the States and we are celebrating Ukulele Underground Day. Post here how you are celebrating.

Echoing Bill on this one!

It's here already? Wow! Well, I'm here. I've played my ukulele. Does that count?

Kind of funny... I got to my mom's house, and she had a spread of ukuleles on her kitchen table for all to play. The funny thing is, she doesn't use the Internet, and I didn't tell her about UU day. So, she celebrated, unknowingly. Of course, I played her ukes as well. Also, I performed the neck reset and refret on my Harmony baritone. Giving her new life on UU day... why not?

Dan

Oops! I forgot it was yesterday! But it is still today in Hawaii no? So HAPPY BIRTHDAY UU! Thanks for everything you're doing for the ukulele community!

I did unknowingly celebrate a bit today by reading parts of a book about the history of the ukulele (the excellent Tranquada and King one), practicing my scales, and learning a Hawaiian song hehe :)

Last night, on UU Day Eve, I participated in the fourth-Saturday-of-the-month Kanikapila in Alameda. Today, my every-other-week ukulele meetup group met, and we played songs from the Daily Ukulele (volume 1), a few songs we'd found on the Internet, and a bunch of holiday songs. Joining our San Francisco based group today was UU's own Kurt Siegel, who has been visiting the Bay Area and was nice enough to drive up to the city and let me play his Sceptre. In his honor, our group played "Erie Canal" from the DU-1. I had hoped to make an ukulele appreciation video, but I've been unable to find the time.

But since thus is Ukulele Underground Appreciation Day, not Ukulele Appreciation Day (which I believe is August 25?), I would like to reflect on how much I appreciate UU for the way the people who started it and those who keep it vital have successfully brought together so many different kinds of people from different cultures, occupations, experiences and even languages to create a wonderfully supportive community around our shared interest in the ukulele. This place has been something of a godsend. I've learned so much about so many facets of the ukulele from this place, and I have met, mostly in cyberspace but in a few cases in person as well, wonderful, intelligent, caring and talented people. For that I am both appreciative and thankful.

THANKYOU to the guys who instituted and continue to run this site. It is a great blessing to many all around this crazy old world. I watched lots of folks' videos today, many of them made by members here and experienced the great joy our beloved jumping flea spreads wherever it is played. :)

Last night, on UU Day Eve, I participated in the fourth-Saturday-of-the-month Kanikapila in Alameda. Today, my every-other-week ukulele meetup group met, and we played songs from the Daily Ukulele (volume 1), a few songs we'd found on the Internet, and a bunch of holiday songs. Joining our San Francisco based group today was UU's own Kurt Siegel, who has been visiting the Bay Area and was nice enough to drive up to the city and let me play his Sceptre. In his honor, our group played "Erie Canal" from the DU-1. I had hoped to make an ukulele appreciation video, but I've been unable to find the time.

But since thus is Ukulele Underground Appreciation Day, not Ukulele Appreciation Day (which I believe is August 25?), I would like to reflect on how much I appreciate UU for the way the people who started it and those who keep it vital have successfully brought together so many different kinds of people from different cultures, occupations, experiences and even languages to create a wonderfully supportive community around our shared interest in the ukulele. This place has been something of a godsend. I've learned so much about so many facets of the ukulele from this place, and I have met, mostly in cyberspace but in a few cases in person as well, wonderful, intelligent, caring and talented people. For that I am both appreciative and thankful.

Well said and so true! Glad that you got to meet Kurt.. He's a great person and a fine uke player.. hope you send him and Nancy back soon.. We miss them!

I celebrated all that the UU has given to me by playing my ukulele for my new kitten. She hid behind the desk.

Top Bottom