Set-up Thread?

Paul December

Reaction score
Sorry, I can't find the thread that lists good string heights as various frets, would someone please post a link?

Honestly, I don't put much stock in height measurements simply because I've never found an action that is too low at the nut to be comfortable. Therefore, my approach is to get the slots in the nut as low as possible without buzzing, then bring the saddle down until the uke is comfortable to play up the neck and appropriate to how you play (typically a little higher if you do a lot of picking, a little lower if you're strictly a strummer). If I can't get perfect intonation at the first couple of frets without buzzing, then it's time to level the frets.

The business card under the string at the first fret thing is a pretty meaningless measurement in my mind - it's not proof that the string is low enough for good intonation at the first fret nor is it evidence that the action is as low at the nut as it can be. The latter is important because typically, even after good intonation is achieved, on most ukes you can go a little lower yet without buzzing and that makes the uke easier to play (especially for things like the Bb chord, etc).

John

Sorry, I can't find the thread that lists good string heights as various frets, would someone please post a link?

Page 1 of 3123Last

Thread: End all Thread about Setting Action - Please Read I have no idea how to make a link, but that is the post that has the info you need.

Lowering string height is pretty straight foreword. or easily explained. But when it comes to dressing frets correctly most people can't see the forest for the trees. On the outside it looks like a monkey can rub a file across some frets. But when you do this thousands of times on different brands sizes etc. you intuitively factor many things. especially when dealing with less than perfect neck sets, boards and fret jobs.

With an unwanted buzz, one thing anyone can try is new or different strings. The worth CH on one or two strings can be a simple cure. easy C string fix. experiment with the reversible first. If this process was simple companies would pump out custom shop action with perfect sustain.

Troubleshooting is an art and a setup is wrong to amateur to professional.

I write this on a break from 5 straight hours at the bench. no matter how many orders are waiting the conflict and time required remain the same. So back I go~

Please Read I have no idea how to make a link, but that is the post that has the info you need.
Pretty straight forward . . . look at the tool bar in the Quick Reply window, go to the last set of icons and select the one with the globe and chain link (If you run your cursor over it, it will say "Link"). Left click on the icon and a window will appear asking you to enter the URL of the page or site you want to link. Should you want to link to a specific word or phrase, highlight the word, phrase you want linked and then click on the icon to enter the URL.

Top Bottom