Favorite instructional books?

Ethan

Reaction score
As the holidays inch closer, I think that I will be asking from some uke instructional books but which ones? Has anyone come across any books that were just the bees knees for a relative beginner? I am partial to ones that include cds as it really helps me to hear what I am looking at. I am intentionally not limiting it to a specific style or technique because I am interested in all of it. Thanks for sharing any of your favorites.

If you are a bit above beginner I would recommend "Fretboard Roadmaps" for the Uke. It gets you off the nut and will teach chord shapes. Some may be too heavy but if you plow through it once and come back a second time you will learn a lot.

Happy holidays!

As I wasn't a complete beginner, I got the Hal Leonard Ukulele Method Vol 2 and found it was really useful: See my review here:

So I am guessing that Volume 1 would be brilliant for a newbie. The set does come with CDs too and although my link takes you to Amazon UK, they are available in the States.

*Puts hands in pockets and whistles...*

(seriously I didn't write tutor books, but books to accompany those - link in signature)

:D

I concur with the recommendation of "Ukulele for Dummies".

I also have Mr maz's "What Ukulele Players Really Want To Know" which is a useful reference book for Uke owners, though it possibly needs a section on resisting UAS.

I have also been enjoying learning some fingerstyle technique with Mark Nelson's "Learn to Play Fingerstyle Solos For Ukulele".

These are the most useful three books I have found so far.

How new is "relatively new"? Emedia Ukulele Method with DVD not only lets you hear, but see how to implement techniques. I also concur with the recommendations for "Ukulele for Dummies"

I downloaded the Dummies book - the version that has video included. That makes it real simple to just click on the video as you go.

You've already received several good responses regarding books. I would only add one thing - are you good at learning musical things from books? There are several folks who have a lot of free YouTube videos (plus, of course, the videos here at UU) and I find those much more useful than books (not to say I don't appreciate those members here who have published books).

It's kind of funny, I am a very good reader and I have been able to learn everything I ever needed to know by picking up a book - except when it comes to music. The only music related thing I've been able to learn from books is theory - and consequently I know quite a bit more music theory than an amateur hack like myself needs to know. But, when it comes to technique - I've only really been able to learn by watching others either live or in videos. (BTW, get yourself a gig with a band - I learned more about making music in my first three months actually playing with a band than I had in previous ten years reading books and playing to bedroom walls!)

Just my $0.25 (inflation, you know) your mileage will likely vary and objects in mirror may be closer than they appear!

John

John

I'm a beginner. I checked out a book in the library a couple of weeks ago that has been helpful. It's simple but includes some strumming, some simple picking, and even a little music theory.

The title is Let's Kanikapila!. ISBN 1566478065

I've really enjoyed it, but will not be able to complete it before the due date. I guess I'll have to suprise myself with a copy for Christmas..

I also have Mr maz's "What Ukulele Players Really Want To Know" which is a useful reference book for Uke owners, though it possibly needs a section on resisting UAS.

Resistence is futile, Ukeling.

But, when it comes to technique - I've only really been able to learn by watching others either live or in videos. (BTW, get yourself a gig with a band - I learned more about making music in my first three months actually playing with a band than I had in previous ten years reading books and playing to bedroom walls!)

Gonna have to agree with this. You can get all the books you want (and Ukulele for Dummies is amongst the best), but nothing beats playing with others. A local uke group did the trick for me.

But for books, Ukulele For Dummies is one I wished I had bought at the beginning of my uke career.

"Ukulele for Dummies" by Alistair Wood is pretty much a "must have" book covering all aspects and styles. It does include a CD, which I have never used.

http://www.amazon.com/Ukulele-For-Dummies-Alistair-Wood/dp/047097799X/

+1

I only started learning today and I can already tell I'm gonna have no problems with this book. The style of writing is straightforward when it needs to be and conversational inbetween, made me laugh a few times, as well as make me feel like learning the uke is achievable!

Top Bottom