Allo from Uke-A

oxkit

Reaction score
Allo folks.

I made an account here a while back but forgot all the details n' never really posted much anyway. Am getting a new uke today though so my memory was jiggled about this place so thought I'd make another account as a means of distracting myself for a while until I pick up the new uke this evening.

So yeah, hello from Oxford, England.

Welcome pal...you off to collect it in a canoe ?

'Tis certainly mighty soggy round these parts... Bit of flooding not too far from my house and the river's right up the banks.

Yep, I'm working in Lincoln at the moment, at a site right next to the canal. Had to drive through 18" of water a couple of times already.

Gunna have to learn us the dueling banjo's and re-enact a bit of Deliverance.

Welcome! We love to hear about new ukes and see pictures! Sounds like you have a bit of water there - stay dry!

Greetings and welcome. I want to hear Kahuna squeal like a pig! :biglaugh:

Should I practice squealing like a pig ?

Whatever butters yer muffin...

Thanks for the warm welcomes. kvehe: I'm getting a Kala ASAC-TE second hand which is something of a step-up from the £20 special with a positively stratospheric action, and the intonation of a burns victim that I've been playing and learning on these last five months or so.

Greetings and welcome. I want to hear Kahuna squeal like a pig! :biglaugh:

Hide his Kanile'a then ;)

Welcome from a pretty damp Bedford where the normally 20m wide River Great Ouse is over 300m across in parts now on the flood plain and sections of my wife's normal route home are under 3' of water. I know that's pretty small beer to some of you in the States but it looks pretty impressive here. That said, before we moved here the flood policy was a mess and it used to end up in the town centre rather than allowed to flood elsewhere. They've got it sorted now though.

So, what's the new uke you're getting then?

Hide his Kanile'a then ;)

Welcome from a pretty damp Bedford where the normally 20m wide River Great Ouse is over 300m across in parts now on the flood plain and sections of my wife's normal route home are under 3' of water. I know that's pretty small beer to some of you in the States but it looks pretty impressive here. That said, before we moved here the flood policy was a mess and it used to end up in the town centre rather than allowed to flood elsewhere. They've got it sorted now though.

So, what's the new uke you're getting then?

Thanks for the welcome. The flood waters have been encroaching on our road - everyone on the street has sandbags out. The park at the end of our street is submerged and a lot of roads around us are closed. Seems the Mayans may have been right...

The uke I've got is a kala asac-te. Tis a thing of real beauty and has a lovely sound, though I think I might see about getting the action lowered a bit.. Could be it's just going to take me a little while to get used to the different shaped neck, bigger frets and more widely spaced strings. It's a huge step up from the plywood, ukulele shaped thing I've been learning on for the last five months or so. The accurate intonation seems to make singing along much easier which is an unexpected benefit, but maybe that's a psychological thing that comes with holding something beautiful in my hands with lovely tone as opposed to the poor little thing I've been playing with so far.

Top Bottom