Help! I sanded one nut slot too low now buzzing

barrybush

Reaction score
I had a problem with a string breaking and read about running a piece of sand paper thru the slot to be sure there were no burrs causing it to break. And yes, I got it too low and now that string buzzes when played open. What can I do? Take it to a luthier to replace the nut? Any other options for a dummy like me? Be kind.

I had a problem with a string breaking and read about running a piece of sand paper thru the slot to be sure there were no burrs causing it to break. And yes, I got it too low and now that string buzzes when played open. What can I do? Take it to a luthier to replace the nut? Any other options for a dummy like me? Be kind.
Is it a black nut or a white nut ? :) this is not a daft question

Clean the slot well. Pack it with baking soda. Carefully apply one small drop of thin superglue to the baking soda. It should be quickly absorbed and then harden into a mass that is much like bone. Recut the slot. It'll last an amazingly long time.

On vintage instruments, some folks preserve the original nut by filing a perfect "V" notch and then inlaying a small section of bone or ivory. You can then cut a new slot.

The alternative is to pop out the nut and shim it up and recut appropriately.

Or make a new nut.

In your case, I'd go for the baking soda trick.

Clean the slot well. Pack it with baking soda. Carefully apply one small drop of thin superglue to the baking soda. It should be quickly absorbed and then harden into a mass that is much like bone. Recut the slot. It'll last an amazingly long time.

On vintage instruments, some folks preserve the original nut by filing a perfect "V" notch and then inlaying a small section of bone or ivory. You can then cut a new slot.

The alternative is to pop out the nut and shim it up and recut appropriately.

Or make a new nut.

In your case, I'd go for the baking soda trick.

I've done the baking soda trick and it's not hard at all . . . and it looks much better than the piece of business card I had stuck under the string. And, as you've already learned, file slowly and check often.

I don't know what medium ca or accelerator or where to buy. Thanks for the advice. What kind of tools or files do I need to purchase and where can I get them.

I don't know what medium ca or accelerator or where to buy. Thanks for the advice. What kind of tools or files do I need to purchase and where can I get them.

In the case of having no tools, no supplies, and no experience, you may be better off paying your friendly neighborhood luthier repair person a call.

He means superglue (Cyanoacrylate).
. You can find accelerator at any hobby shop in your area. Most come in spray at the hobby shops but you can just unscrew it and use the toothpick. Use a separate tooth pick however ;-)

Maybe we need to post a glossary of terms so the non-luthiers who lurk here can understand what we're talking about and how to properly describe parts and problems...

Top Bottom