Opinion On Black Wood

ukebuilder

Reaction score
I was just given a bunch of African Black wood and was wondering what you all thought about it for uke bodies. I know it has been used for guitars but man it weighs a tun and a uke should be light. I was thinking it would make a heavy uke. What do you all think...

Think Brazilian rosewood tone wise- bright, clear and words to that effect.
Heavy yes indeed. You could sell it to a circus strong man?

I was actually searching the web today to buy a tenor uke set for an order. cant find any- want sell me some?

African blackwood ( Dalbergia melanoxylon ) is a true rosewood. It's known as mpinga in Africa, and it's the preferred wood for oboes and clarinets as well as being a fantastic wood for guitar (and uke) backs and sides. Some consider that African blackwood is to Brazilian rosewood as Brazilian is to Indian rosewood. Absolutely top of the line stuff if the pieces are good.

To further illustrate what Rick has said (ive been researching the last 2 days for an order), the cheapest I have been able to find a tenor African blackwood Tenor set for is $250 from Cookwoods (thanks Liam). They have Brazilian tenor sets for less then HALF that price!

Best/cheapest bet I figure out is 3" fingerboards from Gilmer for sides (just) and 3 piece back from FB's- that can be done for about $120- still more then a Brazilian set + all the extra pissing around. Crazy.

Last edited:
I dont know how I fall into these deals but most people who know me, know I love wood. We invited some people over for dinner and we had them bring their friends. I gave the guys a tour of the shop and he was looking at some of the stuff I am working on and then he said do you want some wood. I said well I could allays use more. He brought me a 8" by 8" black walnut beam rough sawn. Its about eight feet long and not bad looking. He also got this black wood from his brother the contractor and he would never use it. Once I re-saw it I will get at least six uke's or more out of the black wood alone.

Think Brazilian rosewood tone wise- bright, clear and words to that effect.
Heavy yes indeed. You could sell it to a circus strong man?

I was actually searching the web today to buy a tenor uke set for an order. cant find any- want sell me some?

My buddy just brought me a small round of black wood. He called it Senegal Ebony.He planted a bunch of trees over here about 17 years ago.I cut into that stuff. Unbelievable.

Top Bottom