First baritone uke, any impressive videos out there or personal favorites?

aehalt

Reaction score
To be honest, I was never interested in baritone ukuleles. But, after receiving one as a gift I thought about how there might be some songs more tailored to that. I know it's the last four strings of a guitar so there is bound to be many guitar-ukulele transfers but I actually haven't seen many baritone videos in general.

Got a favorite? I would love to see it :)
Thanks

Look at drbekken's videos - most of them are on baritone and he is very, very good.

THen there's the ukulele cowboy society guy - he's got a million baritiones and is also very good.

Eugene ukulele has some baritone vids, though I think his favorite size is the concert.

John

Thanks ill check those out! I find myself putting the baritone down because I miss the sweet tones of my standard ukes. Just wanted to see if there were some gems worth tabbing on the baritone. I've been home with a cold and not much else to do but strum. And blow my nose... It's not all bad!

Thanks ill check those out! I find myself putting the baritone down because I miss the sweet tones of my standard ukes. Just wanted to see if there were some gems worth tabbing on the baritone. I've been home with a cold and not much else to do but strum. And blow my nose... It's not all bad!

Honestly, as a guitar player I probably wouldn't have a whole lot of use for a baritone uke if I hadn't finally tried reentrant tuning on one - wow, all the sweetness of ukulele with the deep tone of the baritone - best of both worlds!

John

Ok actually, I'm now confused. I was under the impression that the ukulele an guitar have offering notation when it comes to string numbering right? It maybe I'm wrong.. What I mean is with gcea the a string is the 1st string, but with a guitar eadgbe the high e was the 6th string.. Wait I think I've got it wrong haha oh well I'm posting this anyways

Ok actually, I'm now confused. I was under the impression that the ukulele an guitar have offering notation when it comes to string numbering right? It maybe I'm wrong.. What I mean is with gcea the a string is the 1st string, but with a guitar eadgbe the high e was the 6th string.. Wait I think I've got it wrong haha oh well I'm posting this anyways
No, it's not backwards, it's the same for all stringed instruments. On a guitar, the high E is the first string and the low E is the 6th.

One of my favorite baritone players is Benny Chong, who plays a re-entrant baritone. AMAZING jazz playing, to say the least. There are some great videos of him on youtube.
And I also recommend the Humble Baritonics blog.

Last edited:
There's a great clip on Humble Baritonics of a (Japanese?) lady playing a latin number. As well as the chords and singing, she is uses her fingernail on the fretboard as a Guiro and knuckles on the sound board to accentuate the (rhumba?) rhythm. It's great and I'm practicing it myself for when our uke group plays Sway but it takes a bit of concentration and co-ordination.

Humble Baritonics has loads of great stuff! It's required daily viewing for me.

the bari is a awesome uke, i was very reluctant to get one when i first started playing the uke, but as many of the people on here started getting them i became very curious, then someone at the old uke club i used to go to had one, and he did a duet with someone on a soprano and the 2 sounded beautiful together. i knew then i had to get one and luckily it must of been good ukulele karma there was abari for sale inthe next town to me on ebay, and i managed to get a steal for 50 quid, i am very much still a basic learner player on any size of uke, but some songs really just do sound better on the barie mine is a standard dgbe tunning, which i find compliments my limited singing voice, anyway here is a vid of me just to show you can play a tune if you havent been playing the uke or bari for very long :)

The Coyotes song is so awesome! I love te sound of the Killing me Softly as well. The Bari looks like it might be a keeper. How would one go about making it reentrent.. Meaning what gauge should I buy or is there a trick about it such as buying a wound guitar string or something?

Top Bottom