I think this is a mistake!?!?

J-dawg5

Reaction score
hey every one i've been browsing the guitar center online for a baritone uke. its my first baritone so i was looking at something cheap. i found one labeled "lanikai kp-b". its on the site it says this "lanikai" is only $119. how ever if you look at the picture of this uke, the head stock clearly says kohala. so what am i buying? a lanikai or a kohala? what do you guys think? heres the link below so you can see what im talking about!
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Lanikai-KP-B-Kanikapila-Baritone-Ukulele-H73343-i1881081.gc
:shaka:

If you're buying from Guitar Center you're probably getting an ukulele that is likely to need some setup but isn't going to get it. At the very least, ask someone at Guitar Center which ukulele they're intending to sell before you buy it.

I think Kohala is the Lanikai "discount" line of ukes. They are distributed by Hohner, which is also Lanikai's distributir in the US. Sam Ash music center have Makala MK-B (which are :discount: Kalas) for around $70 or so, which is the same price range as I see Kohalas listed for.

Yeah, Guitar Center isn't very good at labeling their guitars. On Black Friday, I saw a used "Fender MIM bass" for $169.99. It was obviously a P-bass, but the headstock wasn't shown in the picture, so I couldn't tell if it was Fender or Squier. I emailed the store, but never heard back.

Uke Republic has a Kala; HMS has the Makala. You know it will have an excellent set up from either of those fine sellers.

Thanks, Mark. I did that on the run, and didn't take the time to be complete. :(

No worries. You beat me to the suggestion that the OP consider buying from a retailer who does a full setup. At the requested price point, it would be hard to find an ukulele that didn't need some setup work out of the factory.

Top Bottom